Pandas!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is the other small fish at the beginning of the 2nd video?

H
hobby5 said:
What is the other small fish at the beginning of the 2nd video?
those are zebra danio fry. Approximately 2-3 weeks old. :)

Waterchange = 15 more eggs.

Largest output since they started spawning.

:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 106
Hey lovely pandas, I have 3 and adding 2 more this weekend in new tank. :) they're great and lively and full of character

What do you feed yours? and how much. My LFS shoved some £2.75 catfish pellets in my hand. Wasn't after budget. Thing with these is I leave them in at lights out (overnight) so dnt know how long it takes them to eat. I tend to drop 2/3 pellets in a day. Is this too much for 3 Pandas? Is there a better source of food for them?

Thanks

Cory's need a high percentage of protein in their diet such as bloodworm, daphnia etc plus a good pellet.
For 3 Pandas one or two pellets depending on their size would be enough

My corys have a pretty varied diet of dried food:
Bloodworms
New life garlic flake
Baby brine shrimp
Algae wafers (which seems to be their fave)

I keep my feedings relatively modest in my tanks to avoid over feeding.
Typically its one small feeding (half the manufacturer recommendation) once per day alternating foods.
At night I usually crush half an algae wafer before lights out.

I want to start adding a little live food fare to their diet as well as homemade shrimp spinanch gelatin sinkers i can freeze dry so the fry get a little more unprocessed protein. I'm up to 7 fry and spot about 6 more fertilized eggs from the last clutch. :)
ADW1988 said:
Hey lovely pandas, I have 3 and adding 2 more this weekend in new tank. :) they're great and lively and full of character

What do you feed yours? and how much. My LFS shoved some £2.75 catfish pellets in my hand. Wasn't after budget. Thing with these is I leave them in at lights out (overnight) so dnt know how long it takes them to eat. I tend to drop 2/3 pellets in a day. Is this too much for 3 Pandas? Is there a better source of food for them?

Thanks
Congrats on your pandas! They are my absolute favorites; so lively and entertaining!
I would recommend a pretty regular routine regimen of gravel siphoning to avoid deteriorating water conditions.
I'm not sure how big the pellets you described are but doing so would avoid uneaten food from increasing ammonia and such.
Pandas love tidy substrate beds!

Good luck and post pics! Never can have too many pandas!!!

thanks for the tips both of you...certainly food for thought, was going to buy some bloodworm tonight actually. will leave it to 1/2 pellets and vary the diet a bit more.

Thanks

dhartIndy said:
My corys have a pretty varied diet of dried food:
Bloodworms
New life garlic flake
Baby brine shrimp
Algae wafers (which seems to be their fave)

I keep my feedings relatively modest in my tanks to avoid over feeding.
Typically its one small feeding (half the manufacturer recommendation) once per day alternating foods.
At night I usually crush half an algae wafer before lights out.

I want to start adding a little live food fare to their diet as well as homemade shrimp spinanch gelatin sinkers i can freeze dry so the fry get a little more unprocessed protein. I'm up to 7 fry and spot about 6 more fertilized eggs from the last clutch.
smile.png

Hey lovely pandas, I have 3 and adding 2 more this weekend in new tank.
smile.png
they're great and lively and full of character

Thanks
Congrats on your pandas! They are my absolute favorites; so lively and entertaining!
I would recommend a pretty regular routine regimen of gravel siphoning to avoid deteriorating water conditions.
I'm not sure how big the pellets you described are but doing so would avoid uneaten food from increasing ammonia and such.
Pandas love tidy substrate beds!

Good luck and post pics! Never can have too many pandas!!!

They are awesome. Wanted to start with 3 and add. They been in for 2 weeks so may add 2 more. I did syphon on first change and will be syphoning every week, thanks for the advice
smile.png

Sure will do. My phone camera is pretty terrible but I'll try and borrow my gf's digital cam.

Awesome. Pandas like a school of 6 or so. I
had 2 for the longest time after 2 didnt make it through qt.
With so many fry now its amazing watching so much low level activity.

One month later: 9 fry and 8 more eggs!
http://youtu.be/GairWQltBAg

Way to go!  :D You're fish must all be very happy with their tank! :)

DiddleBug said:
Way to go!  :D You're fish must all be very happy with their tank! :)
Thanks much! Thats what makes it all worthwhile...seein the lil buggers happy and healthy. :)

WOW now I want to buy a tank set it up and breed Pandas. I have 2 with 4 more on the way. I cant wait to give it a try. Thanks so much for shareing.

Good luck! They are really something else!
Good filtration, frequent water changes (10-20% weekly), a varied diet and keeping the temp between 71-73F seemed to work wonders.
Moss for spawning as well as java ferns is where I see most of the eggs deposited.
They didnt spawn when I had no moss but I cant say it had as big an influence as the water conditions and diet.

Go pandas!

So sorry for my inactivity. Work has been crazy. I agree they need high protein. I feed them a varied diet of new life flake food with garlic, algae wafers, bloodworms, and homemade shrimp and spinach sinkers. They also dine on the occassional dried brine shrimp. Frequent water changes seem to the be the key along with good substrate siphoning. Diverted a disaster having the substrate too deep and battling a sulfur dioxide scourge. Wasnt pretty. No casulties though. Hope this helps.

Heres a link to my tank refurb; attempting some amano aquascaping.
All 13 pandas goin strong and the two live birds are at it again spawning ;)

http://youtu.be/8fxyoVnegao

Always wanted pandas, but they prefer cooler water :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back