Pair of Golden Gourami - Male aggressive

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tony_W

Reaction score
I introduced a pair of Golden Gourami into a 50 gallon aquarium over a month ago. Both are about 2 inches in size. When first introduced the male was very timid. over time they are now both the most confident fish in the tank.
My concern is that in the last week the markings on the female have become a lot darker (not blackening, just the subtle stripes are darker over the top of the fish and near the head, the male also has darkened slightly) and the male constantly chases her. He appears aggressive towards her, but she does not appear hurt.
Is the female darker due to breeding cycle and that is why the male is chasing her, or is the darker colour due to stress from aggression by the male.

Is this natural or is the female in a stressful environment, would introducing a second female make the tank less stressful?

Attachments

• 20230805_125000.jpg
    20230805_125000.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 17
They’re a very aggressively territorial species. You’ll probably need a few females to share out the aggression. Looks like a young male in the picture. Is that the male or the ‘female’?

The pictured gourami is the one I thought was a female, the other has a lot longer fins

see male in this picture

Attachments

• 20230805_132258.jpg
    20230805_132258.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 12
It could be female but it’s dorsal seems to be pointed, and given that they’re only 2”, it could be a less developed male. I could be wrong but it would explain the aggression more.

This is not likely to end well. As others have wisely mentioned, this gourami Trichogaster trichopodus (in any of the varieties including the gold) is probably the most aggressive of the small and medium-sized species. I have had several of these over the years, but never T. trichopodus, as I did not want them tearing into each other and the other fish in the tank. I witnessed this in store tanks.

There are two options. Separate them now, or the submissive one is not likely to live long. Or acquire a group of females. Both are really not sensible solutions though. A single gourami can decide to kill everything in the tank, we have had this mentioned in older threads. Adding more females may not work, if the dominant male has already decided this is his space, they will be dealt with. The best solution would be to return/rehome both of them. There are more peaceful and beautiful fish out there, without all the risks.

This is not likely to end well. As others have wisely mentioned, this gourami Trichogaster trichopodus (in any of the varieties including the gold) is probably the most aggressive of the small and medium-sized species. I have had several of these over the years, but never T. trichopodus, as I did not want them tearing into each other and the other fish in the tank. I witnessed this in store tanks.

There are two options. Separate them now, or the submissive one is not likely to live long. Or acquire a group of females. Both are really not sensible solutions though. A single gourami can decide to kill everything in the tank, we have had this mentioned in older threads. Adding more females may not work, if the dominant male has already decided this is his space, they will be dealt with. The best solution would be to return/rehome both of them. There are more peaceful and beautiful fish out there, without all the risks.
I'm glad I spent some time reading in the Gouramis forum this evening. I had no idea of some of the potential aggression or set up requirements.

I read a capture report on this aggressive speecies that placed them in a fast moving stream. Short term some current might help and pent up energy could be adding to the natural nastiness of the fish. I've used that trick with Cichlids from fast water, and it worked.

But it's short term. I've seen this fish pickled in jars, and I'd be as likely to buy them in that form as I would for an aquarium... not.

I have three 3 spot gouramis (Trichopodus trichopterus 1male & 2 females) and 1 female moolight gourami (Trichopodus microlepis).
They're well over 2 years old but haven't shown aggressive behaviour I've heard so much about. Perhaps it's just luck, or the tank is full of plants to keep them occupied.
Unlike the loaches, they are from slow moving or still water.

Plants definitely help break up line of sight and provide territories.
Having 1 male and a group of females means the male doesn't have to worry about intruders into his territory.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back