Ozone purifier? Myth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
The other day I went to the department store and saw the Ozone vegetable purifier
and after I take a look at the back of the box, one sentence catch my eyes,
It says that the ozone purifier can also be used in aquarium.

I seach for the answer if Ozone can purified the water is just a myth on a bunch of websites and there are 2 sides of everything so I desided to ask it here.

What are your thoughts?
Do you think Ozone can purified the water or not?

I would say that it cannot be used. It could potentially kill disease causing organisms in the tank but, it is effectively a poison that could affect your plants and fish, it might be more likely to kill off the nitrifying bacteria. Ozone is a highly reactive gas that is a strong oxidizer. Just my opinion but I wouldn't introduce it into my tank.

Many years ago (1960s-1990s) they used ozone in marine tanks. They pumped it into the protein skimmers in an attempt to kill disease organisms in the water and to supersaturate the water with oxygen. These days nobody uses it because it is harmful to fish and other aquatic organisms.

Do not get an ozone reactor for your fish. Ozone belongs in the upper atmosphere where it filters out UV light, it does not belong in aquariums.

So...my aunt bought it......the ozone vegetable cleaner.

Is Ozone purified vegetable bad for human consumption as well?
I worried about cancer

You probably should be looking at a different site to determine the human health affects of a ozone vegetable cleaner. I don't know the full affect of ozone on humans or our food. It would be an indiscriminate purifier if it works at all.

I used ozone on my one and only marine tank about 20-years ago. It worked just fine for removing gunk from the water but it irritated my dogs eye's no end. The stuff my fractionator pulled from the water was awful to clean too. So the whole contraption went the way of the dodo.

You probably should be looking at a different site to determine the human health affects of a ozone vegetable cleaner. I don't know the full affect of ozone on humans or our food. It would be an indiscriminate purifier if it works at all.
I tried it and there are only the ad sites where they only tell you the good things about their products :/

There are 2 questions and its answer for you about ozone disinfection.

One, ozone vegetable purifier is helpful and the other is that ozone can be used for water disinfection? ozone disinfection testing standard is CT value and C is concentration of ozone, T is time, holding time after CO3 reaching standard requirement, like CT=1.6, C=0.4ppm, T=4mins, drinking water disinfection. (1ppm=1.0g/m3 CO3 in water)

1, You saw an ozone vegetable purifier in the supermarket, either to disinfect the washing water or/and to remove pesticides on the surface of fruits and vegetables, previous CO3 requested 0.4ppm, latter CO3 requirement 3ppm. Although ozone is easier to dissolve in water than oxygen, solubility is still a big problem. Because of its low efficiency, it is quite difficult for industrial-grade ozone and water mixing equipment to reach 3ppm. The concentration of ozone in the water of that household ozone fruit and vegetable cleaning machine is about less than 0.02ppm. This can be detected, for example, with a Prominent water ozone detector.

2, Ozone can be used for water disinfection, like aquarium, oceanrium, swimming pool water, drinking water, etc, but please attention CO3 requested in water could be different from others, like swimming pool water request 1-2ppm ozone concentration

if CT value, either of them is not up to requirement, The ozone sterilization has no effect

Last edited:
Things get discovered and then things get invented to exploit the new discovery.
After a while and the market appears to be drying up, research goes on to see what else the new-fangled invention can be applied to.
Some of those applications may actually be useful, most, however, will not.
However, it doesn't stop sellers exploiting the gullible, especially those easily entranced by sciencey-speak.
Over time, the public will become more aware and demand for the new toy will diminish. Unfortunately, that learning process will usually involve pain, stress and even deaths.
They'll even get distracted by a New Shiny Thing that gets discovered and then more things get invented to exploit the new discovery...etc..

For those with an interest, look at the early applications of electricity, or insulin, as just two simple examples that spring to mind.

Using Ozone on Marine skimmers was still a thing when I first got into them. I looked into it at the time but was generally more hassle than it was worth.

In freshwater tanks there is really no need for it at all. Lots of potential to cause issues and it's not really solving any problems that can't be done better with different, safer, equipment.

it really does not make too much sense to have ozone disinfect water for aquarium, but for public oceanarium, water treatment process must have, UV, ozone, ClO2 or others, if not having, there would be big question

They sold me an ozone cleaner, when I bought my C-PAP... the generator blows through the c-pap hose into a nylon duffle bag looking thing, that you put the empty daily water tank in, as well as the face mask... there is a packet of some granules in a paper coffee filter looking bag that goes into the nylon box with the other equipment, & you are supposed to replace that packet every 6 months... the generator runs automatically when you push the button, running for a set amount of time, then beeps, & I think it blows regular air through afterwards to "rinse" the equipment of the ozone... I "assume" it's safe, as it's medical equipment... I'm not completely sure what the bag of granules does... maybe absorbs the ozone, to ensure a complete "rinse"???

anyway, normally a c-pap requires daily wet washings, like dishes & with this unit I never have to wet wash any of the pieces

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back