Overstock? Please also give reccomendations

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Luffy Dee Monkey

Reaction score
Good morning everybody, I have a 10 gallon tank which just finished cycling and I was wondering about stocking. In the tank there will be salvinia and dwarf water lettuce.

The fish will be 1 scarlet badis, 8 chili rasbora, 2 galaxy danio, 2 endler male guppies and either a single nerite snail OR 2-3 amano shrimp.

If this is an overstock can I get other recommendations as to what I should include as well as the quantities? If it is an under stock can I get maybe 1-2 more of the endler and danio? Thanks for your time and have a great day.

I don't think you'll be overstocked, but a couple of other issues. Galaxy danios should be kept in schools; I'd get at least 7 or 8. Endlers tend to like harder water than your other species. That probably isn't a huge deal, but worth considering. I would ditch the guppies and get more danios and five or six amano shrimp.

Do you know how hard your water is?

Just to add to the above the galaxy rasboras come from hard water locations so would do well with the endlers but the chillis would do well with the badis. If your water is neutral the badis, galaxy and endlers would be a viable combo though too.

Wills

I don't think you'll be overstocked, but a couple of other issues. Galaxy danios should be kept in schools; I'd get at least 7 or 8. Endlers tend to like harder water than your other species. That probably isn't a huge deal, but worth considering. I would ditch the guppies and get more danios and five or six amano shrimp.

Do you know how hard your water is?
My pH is 8.0... Badis can’t really prosper in those parameters is what I just realized so I think a sparkling or dwarf gourami would be better. I understand and may just do as you stated once I do further research.

Last edited:
Check on seriouslyfish.com for recommended hardness and other parameters. For most fish those aren't absolutes, but you'll generally have fewer health problems if you're close to what's recommended.

pH and hardness can be related, but they are different parameters. Either get a hardness test kit (API makes a good one), ask your water company, or take a sample to your local pet store for testing.

Just to add to the above the galaxy rasboras come from hard water locations so would do well with the endlers but the chillis would do well with the badis. If your water is neutral the badis, galaxy and endlers would be a viable combo though too.

Wills
I didn't realize that. Good to know. I also just made the connection that galaxy rasbora and celestial pearl danio are the same species, and they have at least three different scientific names. What is it with these tiny cyprinids changing latin names like most people change socks?

Check on seriouslyfish.com for recommended hardness and other parameters. For most fish those aren't absolutes, but you'll generally have fewer health problems if you're close to what's recommended.

pH and hardness can be related, but they are different parameters. Either get a hardness test kit (API makes a good one), ask your water company, or take a sample to your local pet store for testing.
I purchased an API freshwater master kit just recently. I don’t believe that anything but Ammonia, Nitrate/Trite, pH, and hard level pH are included so i will be sure to check out what you just mentioned. Also, thank you for the website i’ll be looking at it right this second!

What is it with these tiny cyprinids changing latin names like most people change socks?
Celestial pearl danios were only discovered in 2006 and were immediately in great demand. I remember all the hype about them on fish websites. They were rushed into the hobby before the taxonomists had chance to do their detailed examinations. The names, both common and scientific, changed as more detailed work was done on these fish.

Most reactions

Back