Out in the stix

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have two dogs and two Siamiese cats, plus fish and Gerbils.
However because we live in the stix(countryside) surrounded by fields and meadows 360 degrees, we also have an abundant visitor population of badgers, ferrets, weasels,rabbits and hundreds of birds. Like the mug that I am they all get fed. My food bill is astronomical. Neighbours bring food scraps for them also. Then there are the obligatory cows and sheep and a few horses. They don't come for food, they are just downright nosey! So I do have a few animals although they are not all mine. Thank goodness.lol :D

If they take food from you and interact (positivley) with you(not running away) you can class them as pets I suppose.
When I lived and worked in Falkirk I used to work night shift in a place that made massive concerte stairs etc(Bison) and used to feed a vixen and her cubs my sandwiches, they were quite partial to egg mayo' lol

Isn't it nice to be able to get so close to wildlife and not run them over or squash them under the tyres of a car. The Badgers are very tame and they take food from your hands. The birds flock around when it comes to feeding time. The only thing is that the badgers only come out when it is dusk.I envy you and your Vixen. I have'nt seen a fox out here yet....that's not so say they are'nt here. Sometimes depending which way the wind blows you can smell their scent! So they are about. Maybe with my two dogs scent, the foxes may be wary. Nice to hear you enjoy wildlife too.

I have a friend who lives in Paisley, he worked as a security officer near the docks...is it.Anyway he worked as a security officer and he used to tell me stories of urban foxes catching rats and mice, and occassionaly the odd sandwich :) :)

Where I grew up a five minute walk and you were in the countryside. It's a small place although it's getting bigger. 19 years and I only ever saw one fox that wasn't roadkill. I' moved about a bit and me and the ex moved to Falkirk. That was my fist experience with the "Urban Fox" I now live in Glasgow very Close to Hampden park(Football) in the space of half a mile there must be about 60 foxes that I know about and more that don't get seen as often. there are a couple of small areas(very small) that have been planted with trees just bellow the flat. not even 100 yards big/long whatever the word is I'm looking for. Anyway in that wooded area there are two fox families and round the bag there are a few more in a larger planted are. I like them they're nice to see when you're heading home in the small hours after work or being out. I've never seen a rat in the area and we have a recycling/ refuse depot(not a tip) close by. so they are doing a good job at keeping vermin down, but when they get going they are "annoying" noisy buggers.

My wife and I do some conservation work for the NT and English Nature and in our volunteer mode we have seen foxes. They look so lovely. How on earth people could hunt them,just for fun beats the hell out of me. Live and let live I say. Working as volunteer means that these organisations get free labour. Our consolation is that we get to see wildlife that would otherwise be hidden from the urban eye. I would love it if a fox came to visit us. One day.........

I see plenty of wildlife are my village when I take the dogs out. ;)

But one bit of wildlife is back. That dam Rabbit is BACK :laugh:

Kehhhh!. I know see what you mean Mr Davy. I dunno understand...Rabbit, what is rabbit? Tell me please. I from outta country, me no understand. You eat rabbit??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No he doesn't 'cause he cant catch it. lol :laugh: :laugh:

I have bear and couger n my back yard. Along with some deer of various kinds, many rodents and a few wild rabbits. Rose

The rabbit is a hosehold pet from up the road. The last time it got out It took three men a big net and twoweeks to catch it :laugh:

Jake (ma dog) Almost got it at 1am this morning when I let him out. But all we ended up down was waking up all the kids in the street :laugh:

Are you havin' me on Rose....A bear and a Cougar. Real ones!!
:D I can believe that you would have deer and other things, but a bear. Where in Washington do you live? :0 . Sounds a great place.
From the sounds of it you don't live in the city.....

i live on a subase near bremerton. It's also a wild life refuge of some type. Rose

Does it not worry you living somewhere like that with children?
You must feel quite lucky to live somewhere the wildlife is more than a Saturday night!

Most reactions

Back