Out hose from Fluval inline UV light getting covered in dead crap?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I have an in-line Fluval UV light treatment thing-a-ma-bob.

This is a new thing from back when I used to have tanks for me, so I have little experience with them, but I am wondering if this is normal.

The intake hose into the UV unit looks fine. Its the blueish hose in the picture. I am currently treating the tank for Ick, so its turned everything blue.

The out take hose that goes directly into the tank is the other hose in the pic filled with crap all along the sides. If you squeeze the hose, it will dislodge all this dead material that just blows right into the tank. The Fish love it.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about this? Not ever having had a uv light thingy-ma-jigger, I am not really sure what the protocol is here.

Attachments

• uvlighthose.jpg
    uvlighthose.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 40
It's normal and the hoses can be blasted out with a garden hose when you clean the filter each month.

Ultra Violet (U/V) sterilisers built into power filters aren't very effective because the water tends to flow through the U/V steriliser too quickly and that doesn't give the U/V light enough time to kill the disease organisms in the water. In future it's best to avoid built in U/V units and don't bother having one for an aquarium.

It's normal and the hoses can be blasted out with a garden hose when you clean the filter each month.

Ultra Violet (U/V) sterilisers built into power filters aren't very effective because the water tends to flow through the U/V steriliser too quickly and that doesn't give the U/V light enough time to kill the disease organisms in the water. In future it's best to avoid built in U/V units and don't bother having one for an aquarium.

Thanks. I kinda figured it had to be normal since it was obviously on the out hose that was effected.

This is actually a stand alone unit and not part of the filter, and was rated with a high enough flow rate. My guess is they just crank up the power of the light. Must be killing some crap I guess since the hose out is filled with dead stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back