Fluval Spec tank lighting hack (for planted tank)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AirWreck11

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post but it is sort of a planted tank build project. I'm getting back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus (that's another story, see my other post). I have not been impressed with the built-in light, I was looking for more intensity and better coverage. What I've done here, shown in the pics, is admittedly a hack job, but I decided to add another LED strip.

I chose the Hygger HG005-8W 11.8" 8 watt light made for aquariums. I ditched the much-maligned suction cups and went with some cable ties. These ties use 3M mounting tape (assuming it's not a knock-off) and while I don't have any specs on them being suitable for damp environments, I don't think they are going anywhere. I have them secured on both ends and in the middle (the yellow ties are essentially the back-up, safety factor). I'll check them out for any signs of issues. But, should these take a dunk in the tank, the built-in Fluval light has a potted wire connection, and appears to be a very watertight design. The Hygger claims to be IP68 and submersible. I'm not terribly worried an electrical tragedy here, but I am taking precautions and will keep an eye on things.
As you can see, I moved the Fluval light bar back, and tilted it towards the front of the tank. The Hygger got a mirror-image treatment; tilted towards the front of the tank. I am fairly pleased with the results. For a sub $20 project, at least.

The Fluval light is fully adjustable and from bright mid-day sun to moonlight. I am controlling it via IR with a smart IR blaster. The Hygger is also adjustable but only via an inline module on the power cord. At this time I am experimenting with it just 6500K white light, on high, and I have it on a smart plug, set to come on for mid-day lighting.
I'm not a lighting or electronics engineer, I don't have a lux meter, etcetera, but this does get me the intensity and better coverage I was hoping for, and the price was right.
IMG_6303 - Copy1.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG

Last edited:
Looks nice with the light coming from 2 different locations instead of just one. I wish I would have seen this last week. I added a strip to one of my tanks a while ago and got tired of suction cups not sticking and the mounting bracket that pointed the light in the wrong direction. I superglued it to the lid. ;) I didn't think of mounting like this, would have been so much better (and less permanent).

The fixtures themselves almost certainly have 3.3v or 5v power rails and are safe. Even if they dropped in the tank and shattered the current would be minimal (but don't do this :) ). The power supply (Deck of cards looking thingum) which converts mains to the low voltage looks to be potted (i.e. waterproof) but that is what should be kept out of the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back