Our Kittens Life Taken By Two Dogs

I dont condone animal crulety in any way. but if i had seen this attack i would have most certanly have attacked the dogs so as to get my beloved kitten out of there jaws.
And im sure even you kathy would do the same if it was your loved pet

Absolutely - we do what we can to protect our loved ones, human or animal. I've had to do it once, it wasn't nice and I was wracked with guilt afterwards but it was a them or her moment (a dog attacked my bullmastiff and I had to kick it off). It's retribution (not suggested by you) on the dogs that doesn't make sense to me. On the owner yes :devil:

Dogs can't help what they do, they are just animals. It is the owners who are to blame. I am very sorry about what happened to your kitten, it is appalling. When I had dogs I always walked them on a lead.I know some dogs are safe off the lead but I always had terriers and my Scottie in particular was quite feisty. It was my responsibility to make sure she behaved, and I did. I can't understand the mentality of any dog owner who would allow such a thing to happen. :(

Personally i would go to the dog owners house and throw some poisoned meat over his fence while the dog is in the garden, a dog like that doesnt deserve to be alive.
If it wasnt that i would be the one in trouble i'd preffer to take my chainsaw out the next time i saw it walk past and see how it likes being ripped to bits.

... what the hell is wrong with you? Dogs are driven by instinct, and when they see small kittens toddling around outside, they think "food," not "living thing that someone loves." You can't blame a predator for killing; it is part of their nature, just like when all the cute and fuzzy kitties we all love maul wildlife to death (no one minds that). That is why pet owners are responsible for both keeping their pets safe from harm, and preventing their pets from harming others. When dogs behave violently and harm another person or animal, it is almost always the result of the owner's failure, be it a failure to properly train, contain, restrain, or otherwise control. These dogs were probably never socialized with small mammals, seeing as the owner is clearly indifferent to them.
Suggesting something as cruel and violent as poisoning or hacking up the dogs really makes me question your judgement and your character. Shame on you; you should know better than to say something so ignorant and downright disgusting. :angry:

What happened here was a tradgedy, but we can not blame the dogs for attacking the cat anymore than we could blame a rabbit for eating grass. The owners should at least have to pay some sort of a fine for the loss, and if they are in such poor control of their dogs, it may be best if they are taken away; imagine if it was an infant that the dogs behaved that way towards. Cichlidcrazy, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I think I read that the kitten just snuck out, but if you get another cat, you may want to look into cat enclosures for safe and secure outdoor enrichment, so long as you have jerk neighbors like that. My thoughts are with your family in this time of loss.

Personally i would go to the dog owners house and throw some poisoned meat over his fence while the dog is in the garden, a dog like that doesnt deserve to be alive.
If it wasnt that i would be the one in trouble i'd preffer to take my chainsaw out the next time i saw it walk past and see how it likes being ripped to bits.

Suggesting something as cruel and violent as poisoning or hacking up the dogs really makes me question your judgement and your character. Shame on you; as a moderator, you should know better than to say something so ignorant and downright disgusting. :angry:

I'm sure mods are allowed opinions...

Of course, but you'd hope since they've been put in place as intelligent, level-headed people who are good at refracting inflammatory statements and maintaining order on the forum, they wouldn't go around posting things that outrageous. But, if that is an issue, I'll just delete out the "as a moderator" statement. ::shrugs::

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful cat, my thoughts go out to you and your family.

Personally with the owners attitude to things I think he should not be allowed to keep any dogs and that the two that attacked the cat should be taken away from him and rehomed with a responsible owner!

Personally with the owners attitude to things I think he should not be allowed to keep any dogs and that the two that attacked the cat should be taken away from him and rehomed with a responsible owner!
I second that. I absolutely think the dogs should be taken away from him. Pet ownership isn't just about how you treat your own animals, it's about knowing how to control them and when to do it so that they aren't a danger to others if that is a possibility. This owner obviously doesn't control his dogs when the need arises, and as such he should not be allowed to have them at all.

What a terrible incident, i hope this man is serverly punished. Poor Bagpuss :rip: little guy. Sorry for your sad loss

i've been following this thread for a while and i think i agree that the dogs should be taken away from this man. it's an unfortunate situation and it's two more animals that already have a strike against them (obvious cat aggression) that would have to be dealt with by the very overrun rescue groups, but it seems like the best situation. the dogs are not at fault here and taking retribution against them is unfair (though sadly they will probably end up paying a higher price for their owner's irresponsibility than the owner will), but this sort of apathy towards small animals tends to eventually migrate towards apathy towards people. The dogs are less a threat than their owner, just because they went after a kitten doesn't mean they are going to attack a person, unfortunately the risk is there. Dogs in packs can be unpredictable at times and it can't be completely ruled out that their owner wouldn't use them to take out his own aggression.

it's a scary situation all around :/

i'm sorry about the loss of your kitten. It's a horrible thing that happened and i hope the authorities (can) do something about it.

Whereabouts did this happen??

I have to admit we have a german sheperd that is totally loving & friendly but she absolutely detests cats. Just saying the word cat gets her going. We have cats come in our garden and you can often hear the crunch as she jumps at the fence trying to chase them over it. I don't know what she would do if she caught one, wouldn't hazard a guess to be honest.
If she is called harshly she will stop however, although not happy about it.

As already mentioned, lots of people on here have hamsters, rats, rabbits etc, if a cat got them would you want to bludgen/kill the cat & owner too??

Not condoning the dogs, just wondering where it happened.

RIP Bagpuss.

If a wolf or coyote, maybe a bear or even some kind of big cat came walking down the road and was savagely attacking and killing domestic pets then i have no doubt that the animal would be shot and killed by the local authorities before it could become a danger for people. A German Shepard is basically a domesticated wolf, the domesticated part meaning it should actually know better than to attack and kill kittens or any other small animal that comes its way, after all you can pretty much guarantee that it has been fed on tins of dog food so certainly shouldn't be mistaking a small animal for food.
If one of these domesticated wolves suddenly shows a tendency to attack and kill other animals then it should be swiftly destroyed before it can cause further damage to other animals or even people.

I'm a real believer in an eye for an eye, something or someone hurts me or mine and they had better start getting their affairs in order before i catch up with them.

i've been following this thread for a while and i think i agree that the dogs should be taken away from this man. it's an unfortunate situation and it's two more animals that already have a strike against them (obvious cat aggression) that would have to be dealt with by the very overrun rescue groups, but it seems like the best situation. the dogs are not at fault here and taking retribution against them is unfair (though sadly they will probably end up paying a higher price for their owner's irresponsibility than the owner will), but this sort of apathy towards small animals tends to eventually migrate towards apathy towards people. The dogs are less a threat than their owner, just because they went after a kitten doesn't mean they are going to attack a person, unfortunately the risk is there. Dogs in packs can be unpredictable at times and it can't be completely ruled out that their owner wouldn't use them to take out his own aggression.

it's a scary situation all around :/

i'm sorry about the loss of your kitten. It's a horrible thing that happened and i hope the authorities (can) do something about it.

I completly agree with you, the dog warden is requesting dogs to be kept on the lead and muzzled no dog likes to wear a muzzle who is suffering there?.
I havent seen him or the dogs since sat also havent heared from RSPCA or warden both took my number.
I will call both tomorrow as i want the dogs to be removed from him and rehomed with a responsable owner.
I dont think these dogs are a threat to the public as i have seen them playing with children and the owner was not there, but the question must be asked after such a horific attack have they got a tast for blood and if a child was playing with there kitten would both be a target?. One thing for sure they are a danger under his ownership.
I will post and let all know the out come

Most reactions

Back