🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hey, I got it right...............
Blimey that book arrived quick :lol:

:rofl:

moto_0081.jpg

I moved the clove polyp :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Geeze the woman's moving things around already.
Is that a female thing.
I'm gonna pickle your head now, but I think it would look much better on top of the rock thats above where its sitting now. LOL
Might wanna keep your lower regions for less light loving inverts such as mushrooms and zoas.
just a thought.
If your happy with it where it is then go with it girl.
Regards
BigC

Now I am truely going to get told off for my next purchase, I did some reseach before hand, but obviously not enough as I have come home with this

022.JPG

Yes it is a flowerpot Goniopora, I have read so much conflicting information regarding this, some say low to moderate flow others say fast, and lighting from dim to bright :S but they all say they are hard to keep! I nearly took it back to LFS (who recommended it) but have decided to give it a go :crazy:
I have put it on the sand at the bottom of tank, it has come out very nicely and looks quite happy at mo. It also has come with hitch hickers, 4 tiny featherduster worms and what looks like a tiny little fish which comes out of the holes swims around rock then darts back in :drool:

Has anyone got any experience or advice regarding this coral, would be greatly appreciated :good:

Wellllll...I have experience with goniopora...however, like most people...it's not a good experience. It didnt crash my tank or anything nasty, it just died and spiked my params. Just keep an eye on it. Be willing to move it around and play with positions in the tank if you start seeing it lose polyps. I wanna hear more about this fish that you said came in on the frag.

there hard to keep but not impossible, the one that is still alove in the tank at work, is in not too much flow and quite bright lighting in the sand bed, even showing some regeneration n growth.

The general consensus is that they are pretty hard to keep and not for the novice.
Obviously you never waited until the book arrived. So I'll give you a brief summary
Moderatly hard to keep, most specimens lasting a year or less in captivity.
Moderate flow and moderate lighting.
Feeds on phytoplankton (so I suggest you buy in some DT’s Live Marine Phytoplankton)
which may extend its longevity.
The coral itself seems alright one minute and the next it can go into steady decline
Pretty aggressive toward other corals (so keep some distance between your other corals.
The list goes on,
IMHO I don't believe you should have taken on such a hard LPS coral at this stage, Stick to Softies first then some easy LPS
Sorry to have to tell you this
Please refrain from impulse buying.
Walk away and research
Regards
BigC

Wasn't really an impulse buy, did take my little book with me, but unfortunately with that and advise from LFS I decided to buy it, The book and advisor didn't really go into deeper detail, but having said that I take on board what you say. :nod:
I have bought food for it, which was recommended to feed couple of times a week, LFS demonstrated how to do it :teacher:
It is placed on sand away from anything else. I'm determined to keep it healthy and have been reading endlessly about it, it looks happy at the moment but as suggested if it starts to look sad I shall move it up higher.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the tiny little fish today, it was a very dark colour, about 4-5mm.

Added 11 nass. snails today they are busy dealing with my algae.

007.JPG

Bought this today, I believe it is a Yellow polyp Looks lovely, came out instantly when I put it in tank, I have placed it at the top for the light.

006.JPG

LFS also gave me two tiny frags of a pulsing xenia the one pictured here is in middle of tank and looks a bit unhappy at moment has been in tank about 3 hours, am keeping an eye on it, but sure it will perk up. The second frag didn't like where I put it and has moved slightly, it is a bit higher up but looking good.

Hi,
I see you got some yellow polyps, they are really nice and very underated, they add a nice splash of colour to a drab corner in the tank. They dont really need to be up that high so you can move them down a bit if you so wish. They will grow exceptionally fast and are beautiful in a moderate flow which seems to elongate their tentacles. As for the Xenia, when I got mine (through the post) boy was it in a sorry state, I contemplated not putting it in the tank and throwing it straight in the dustbin. So hang on in there with that as they are notorious poor shippers, give it time to acclimatise and it will perk up. If it doesn't then it will show you that the params in your tank are just not right. I use mine as an indicator. Type of early warning system.
Your tank is starting to take shape with the coral additions. Plan it out, know what you want and track that particular coral down.
I apologise for sounding like a preacher sometimes. I cant really talk as I consider myself as a novice too.
Anyway Some more FTS pics would be nice, hows seffie's aquarium comming along and did you get the book yet.
Following your thread with interest as always
Regards
BigC

Hi BigC,

I am quite happy to take constructive criticism, and learn from mistakes, keep it coming :good:
xenia is looking bit better, it has picked its heads up :) although the other frag has buried itself in a hole in LR, should I just leave it to sort itself out, or try to get it out and place it somewhere else?
I shall see how yellow polyp does it seems happy at top for now, it did have a row with shrimp earlier that upset it :crazy:
It is lovely and looks so nice swaying around in current.
I'll try and sort out FTS.
Haven't got book yet, watching one on auction site, hoping to get bargain :devil:
Seffie and I are going shopping on Sunday so I'm sure we will pick up a couple more things :yahoo:
Lost one of my snails the other day, victim of blue legged hermit crab :rip:

Hi All

My sister has forged ahead of me - I am still at the same place I was last week.

Stocking to this point:

Two juvi clowns
Two fire shrimps
10 or so Nas snails
1 giant turbo
1 normal turbo
four blue legged hermits
2 pink mushrooms inherited with LR

Clove polyp - rich chocolate colour

Today I am off to buy my Flame hawk (how I love those little fellers). I am aware they are partial to snails and shrimps - but call me mean but am willing to take the chance. The shrimps are fairly big and if the snails start to go missing then so be it........... :crazy:

Tomorrow am off with Trod to Romford - we haven't been to this particular shop before but impressed by the creds. on their website. It's not that far from us, so even if it's not to our liking we will have a nice lunch and a lot of laughs :lol:

<a href="http://www.romford-reef.co.uk/main1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.romford-reef.co.uk/main1.htm</a>

Hopefully then I will be adding some new photos tomorrow or Monday :good:

Have ordered the hard cover copy of the Coral book - am awaiting with anticipation. Still have (BigC) stock list to look up and enjoy.

Plans for the future:

I know I want:

Xenia - a pom pom would be nice, but Trods blue one looks lovely
Euphyllia - frog spawn at some point but not yet
I really like button polyps or sea mats, Zoas am still trying to choose which colour combi
Toadstool leather
got to have something yellow - maybe yellow polyp
I really like the clove polyp, so might think of getting another in a different colour

That is my thinking up to this point - probably will be totally changed by something BigC, Ski or someone else says - 'I used to be decisive, but now i'm not so sure' :rofl:

Off to do a water change, hi ho, hi ho.............

Seffie x

:fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back