🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SoCalMom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I currently have a male betta in a 2.5 gal

Anyway, I'm going to be moving him to a 5-7 gal soon. I wanted to know if:

1. The betta can be housed peacefully with a couple Otocinclus

2. If a 5-7 gal (not sure which one yet) would be big enough

If it wouldn't work out, no sweat. I'm not the type of person to go against peoples advice just because I want a certain type of fish in my tank :)

Thanks in advance

yep the ottos and betta should get along ok.. the betta won`t see them as a threat .

and 5 gal is fine. thats whats mine is housed in i wouldn`t go any smaller thugh for any fish

They do prefer a more mature tank as Otos are sometimes a little fragile. Make sure you go for some nice plump ones from the LFS, as the thinner ones have found the lack of food during shipping more of a struggle, and are more prone to infection.

Beware, they are little poop machines too.!

Squid

Cool, thanks

I'll probably wait a few months to get a couple otoc's after my new tank is established (if I decide to get them at all)

I'm also going to make sure I do lots of research if I decide to get a couple :)

i like ottos iv got 4 in my 15g but the amount of poop they make is unbeleivable, especially when u have sand :grr:

haha yeah 6 in my 4 foot tank leave a green coating over my sand in part of the tank where they sleep.

When you get them, do not scrape any algae growing on the sides of your tank before you put them in. I have found mine to feed almost exclusively on the glass sides of the aquarium so must leave it all on there so they have a good food source. Try to get fat ones, but if you have enough food in your tank they will become nice and fat by the next morning after adding them to your tank.

watch out, in a tank that small they may eat all the algae and starve. It happened in a 20 gallon, and the 20 gallon was full of brown algae, two days later all the brown algae was gone, didnt come back, 1 oto died, 1 oto got skinny, then a tiny bit of brown algae came back and that 1 skinny oto lived about a month more then died.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back