Oscar schooling tankmate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goofy951

Reaction score
So I have a oscar that's around 4-5 inches, I wanna add some tank mates but I've tried in the past but he just ate them. I would like to have a schooling fish maybe like a black skirt tetra or something big enough to fend for their own. Thanks

How bigs your tank?

You could go with something like Severums, or robust cichlids like Convicts or firemouths.

Best schooling fish id say would be silver dollars. Peaceful, school lovely and grow too big for your oscar to eat.

Here's where I see a problem. Oscars are predators.

Shoaling is a defense against predators. Any smaller fish you get and put with an oscar will be living in mortal fear at all times. Even if the fish is a bit too large to be immediately devoured, it will recognize the risk.
It's not much of a life you'd be offering there.

Oscars are great, but they aren't community fish.

How bigs your tank?

You could go with something like Severums, or robust cichlids like Convicts or firemouths.

Best schooling fish id say would be silver dollars. Peaceful, school lovely and grow too big for your oscar to eat.
Tank is about 75 gallons

Bit tight tbh tank mate wise. 75g is probably bare minimum for a single Oscar so once full grown he will fill your tank on his own.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back