Oscar not active and sitting near bottom of tank??

nshockeyplaya

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey i got my oscar last night and he has been siting in the corner of my tank, moving around somewhat but arent they supposed to be mid-top dwellers. Ive had 1 before and was very active what do you guys think???

well, if you just got him i'm sure he's still adjusting to his surroundings and a little stressed. give him time and i'm sure he'll be out and around

Alright, i have a 7 day waranty so if he deosnt ill bring him back and trade for a different one. But he was so active in the store.

my oscar did the same becasue he felt unsecure. but you should check your aquariums readings on ph,nitrite,nitrate,ammonia just to make sure everythings fine. what else do you have with her/him?

:lol: Silly Oscars, eh?

My old 8'' Big Red used to do the same, I tihnk he was sleeping, because once I came enar, he perked up and went crazy.

Give it some time mate.

Im guessing he's lying against a rock or behind some plants?

--Dan

i really recommend that all aquarium lights are off and to keep the noise down when getting a oscar. sometimes they can get very agressive towards other fish when first introduced to a new home becasue they feel threaten. that's right give it lots of time for the cichlid to get used to it's new enviorment.

oscar_lover2005 said:
i really recommend that all aquarium lights are off and to keep the noise down when getting a oscar. sometimes they can get very agressive towards other fish when first introduced to a new home becasue they feel threaten. that's right give it lots of time for the cichlid to get used to it's new enviorment.
And that folks, is how we know they are Cichlids.

--Dan

Okay thanks guys, yea danny hes hidiing behind my bogwood and plants. Ill giv it som time and keep the lights off as much as possible and well see how it goes. Hes in there with 4 clown loaches who are always on the go and a black shark who is supirsingly mellow.

Hes still sittting at the back, but now pretty much motionless on slightly on his sad. I checked my water everything is fine, nitrate is 40 could that be it?? I was told 40 is fine. Other fish are fine. Maybe he was just too shocked, he looked fine in the store what you guys think??

No way is 40 Nitrate good. Aim for 20, anything more than that do a w/c. That's how I do it... So like someone else suggested, do a w/c and see what happens... And it's always a good idea to leave the lights off for around a day or maybe even two if you get new fish. I don't mind since I've some ambient light in the room, and I'm sure it does something to the algae as well...

Nitrate is FINE. 40 is still considered low levels, and will not stress the fish.

Your Oscar is just getting used to his new home - it can take a while at times, weeks in extreme circumstances, especially if there are more aggressive fish in the tank. You need to just give him a chance.

Thanks for the responses guys, he seems to be getting a little better. He always comes out when im in the side of the room and no 1 is around but if i go up to the tank he hides. Hopefully he gtes over this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back