Oscar Lovin'

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Floridapierce78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm writing this thread because everyone my entire life has told me that Oscar's are very intelligent, cunning, hyper aggressive and Need a tank to thierselves and never put two together.
Well, I got Ragnar, my first Oscar, ( a Tiger Oscar) back in March. I had him in a 10 gal tank while I cycled my 60 gal. He quickly outgrew the 10, so in the 60 he went. Then i heard if you have 2 oscars you need a big tank. I had remembered this when i was at the fish store and I saw Lagatha. I don't know what kind of Oscar she is. ( granted I don't know the sex of either. ) and because I thought a 60 gal was a big tank I got her.Now. they are in s 125 together.
Well, these two have been best if friends or lovers since the day i put them together. They are always together. Constantly caressing each other. They have to touch ever so slightly. And when spooked they go and hide in the corner together as tight as sardines.
Is this normal Oscar behavior? Everyone says no. But inbelieve the good people of this forum would know.
Also, does anyone know what type of Oscar Lagatha is? I will post pics. Please tell me your thoughts on the subject. These are pics from beginning, March until today.

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_164453_01.jpg
    IMG_20220317_164453_01.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220330_165424.jpg
    20220330_165424.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20220330_211931_01.jpg
    IMG_20220330_211931_01.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220425_010645.jpg
    20220425_010645.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220514_162317.jpg
    20220514_162317.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220615_194910.jpg
    20220615_194910.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20220730_194225.jpg
    IMG_20220730_194225.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220806_135734.jpg
    20220806_135734.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220806_135741.jpg
    20220806_135741.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 56
I'm writing this thread because everyone my entire life has told me that Oscar's are very intelligent, cunning, hyper aggressive and Need a tank to thierselves and never put two together.
Well, I got Ragnar, my first Oscar, ( a Tiger Oscar) back in March. I had him in a 10 gal tank while I cycled my 60 gal. He quickly outgrew the 10, so in the 60 he went. Then i heard if you have 2 oscars you need a big tank. I had remembered this when i was at the fish store and I saw Lagatha. I don't know what kind of Oscar she is. ( granted I don't know the sex of either. ) and because I thought a 60 gal was a big tank I got her.Now. they are in s 125 together.
Well, these two have been best if friends or lovers since the day i put them together. They are always together. Constantly caressing each other. They have to touch ever so slightly. And when spooked they go and hide in the corner together as tight as sardines.
Is this normal Oscar behavior? Everyone says no. But inbelieve the good people of this forum would know.
Also, does anyone know what type of Oscar Lagatha is? I will post pics. Please tell me your thoughts on the subject. These are pics from beginning, March until today.
Nice fish I love Oscars,
DSC00777.JPG

Nice pair of Oscars. Have you any recent pics? I have recently bought two tigers myself and am really enjoying them. Stunning fish if you ask me. I've kept various other fish in the past but these are two of my favourites for sure. I think the fish you have with the more tiger like patern is a 'wild' caught Oscar. The other is a red. Very nice.

I kept and bred not much else for 20 years, and several times since.
Everything said there is completely wrong. As far as cichlids go, Oscars are stupid, not very aggressive (except when breeding or in a tank thatā€™s too small), very sociable (except when breeding or in a tank thatā€™s too small), and good community fish as long as they have enough space and everyone else is too big to eat (except when breeding). So yes, itā€™s normal behaviour.

Last edited:
I think the fish you have with the more tiger like patern is a 'wild' caught Oscar.
Probably not. Tiger Oscars like that have been commercially bred and available since the 1950s.

(the Red Oscar was created in 1969)

Last edited:
Probably not. Tiger Oscars like that have been commercially bred and available since the 1950s.

(the Red Oscar was created in 1969)
I agree, they are 'probably not' actual 'wild caught' Oscars but that is what the Oscars similarly marked are sold as here in the UK. Interested to know what your thoughts are on correct tank size for Oscars also any thoughts on feeding and, well, anything else Oscar related as i appreciate your experience with keeping them.

I agree, they are 'probably not' actual 'wild caught' Oscars but that is what the Oscars similarly marked are sold as here in the UK.
Iā€™d stay away from that kind of shop to be fair. Iā€™m English and in 50+ years Iā€™ve never seen them sold as wild-caught.

My minimum tank size is 4ā€™x2ā€™x2ā€™ for one Oscar (although Iā€™d never keep just one) and 6x2x2 for a pair or raising a group of 6, which Iā€™ve done a few times.

As for feeding, just do big regular water changes, the more the better, and theyā€™ll eat anything (except flakes which they donā€™t seem to see the point of at any age). They can be ā€˜fussy eatersā€™ or not eat much but thatā€™s usually just because not enough water is changed. Appetite (and growth rate) is directly related to diluting the growth / appetite inhibitors.
Their natural diet is mostly insects that have fallen onto the surface. They love earthworms / compost worms, and ā€œprawnsā€ (the small ones) and insects, but will also take pellets readily, as long as theyā€™re getting big water changes. For a large pair in a 6x2x2 I do 50% twice a week.

Last edited:
Iā€™d stay away from that kind of shop to be fair. Iā€™m English and in 50+ years Iā€™ve never seen them sold as wild-caught.

My minimum tank size is 4ā€™x2ā€™x2ā€™ for one Oscar (although Iā€™d never keep just one) and 6x2x2 for a pair or raising a group of 6, which Iā€™ve done a few times.

As for feeding, just do big regular water changes, the more the better, and theyā€™ll eat anything (except flakes which they donā€™t seem to see the point of at any age). They can be ā€˜fussy eatersā€™ or not eat much but thatā€™s usually just because not enough water is changed. Appetite (and growth rate) is directly related to diluting the growth / appetite inhibitors.
Their natural diet is mostly insects that have fallen onto the surface. They love earthworms / compost worms, and ā€œprawnsā€ (the small ones) and insects, but will also take pellets readily, as long as theyā€™re getting big water changes. For a large pair in a 6x2x2 I do 50% twice a week.
Thanks for the info. Mine are eager to eat and i feed them twice a day, freshwater prawns, Hikari pellets/Fluval Insect Bites and peas. They seem content at the moment (they're around 6inches at the moment and growing fast). I'm in the South East and two of the main dealers here have 'wild caught' Oscars for sale (Sims & TropCo (though i've just taken a peak and TropCo seem to be out of stock now)). That's a lot of water change you are doing. I do around 40- 50% every 4/5 days. Noticed the waste these guys are emitting has upped the nitrate growth markedly in my tank. I've seen a guy posting pics of his Oscar tank with two large Oscars. His tank has large house plants growing out of the tank and reckons he now has zero nitrates, which is interesting (looks pretty good too).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back