Oscar In Bad Shape, Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have an outside hose close by so water changes are simple. I did another 50% water change today and added some stress zyme and stress coat as well as aquasafe with the new water. I'm going to test the water in about an hour to see how it looks but this morning everything was the same.

today both my fish and the algee eater have a white substance on them like in the above picture of my oscar but its worse today. both are still just sitting on the bottom every now and then they will swim a lil but not much.

No I don't know anyone with an established tank :( I'm on the eastern shore of MD

think there is something wrong with my water that I am filling my tank with?

anything I can do or add to help get the ammonia down faster?

Hi, go to your local fish shop and ask if you can buy some of their filter media that they are using, plus if you are buying other stuff they probably wont object - especially if you explain your predicament - you dont need much and then just stuff it in your filter.

Good luck - but do ask.

Paul.

OK I'll go check that out after work.. I justed tested the water out of the tap and the ammonia is 3.0 so all my water changes are pointless I guess I'm just dumping more ammonia in it.. what should I do get a tank to transport clean water to my fish tank?

That's a bit cack ammo @ 3., you dont want that in!

This is going to sound crazy but I cycled an internal filter in a bucket by adding Ammonia to 5. daily, it took a good month but it was an experiment which worked.

What I am trying to say is once you have some mature media you could use it clear ammonia out of your water before you put it into your main tank - sound wierd - I think so.

Good luck at the LFS.

Paul.

Bump because I want to know how its going and to reiterate going to your LFS and get used filter media.

what test kit are you using? And if the water is straigt from the hose if you are doing large waterchanges might be too cold for the fish. Youd have to add some hot water too to bring up the temp.
best of luck!
cheers

algee eater died last night..

oscar is still holding on, he looks very very bad! sitting on the bottom and gills are barely moving but he is alive.

checked my water in the tank and the spicket, both have ammonia of 3 and the alkalinity is up to 300 in both. what should I do so I don't loose him, I'm going to the pet store tonight and ask for some filter media. could I get a bucket of clean water from another location and put him in that with some bubbles till I get my tank straight?

nevermind.. he died too :rip:

guess now I need to figure out why there is ammonia in our well water and do a fishless tank cycle to get my water right then go start over with some new fishys..

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, this thread made me really sad. :( I wish I could have helped, but I'm a bit of a newbie fishkeeper.
I hope you're doing okay!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back