Ordering Fish Online...

marcybeth0281

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ocala, Florida
Just wanted to see if any of you have ordered fish online where they are shipped to your door FedEx. Which company did you use? (I am in the US) Was it successful?

We've been having a heck of a time getting a few bristlenose plecos and refuse to do business with the LFS due to an previous altercation.
 
Have you tried to find a local breeder? Bet someone near you breeds them.
 
Have you tried to find a local breeder? Bet someone near you breeds them.


I have looked online and done searches, but have come up with very little. I'm not sure how else to know if someone is a breeder of a particular fish other than word-of-mouth or if they have a webpage.
 
Hmmm.... try looking for local fish keeping clubs? Or on fish-specific forums there are some that specialise for plec keepers.
 
I ship fish and have ordered fish in the past. Have you been to www.aquabid.com? When I ship I use USPS. I have used Fed-x and UPS in the past but have had no luck with UPS and Fed-x is expensive.
 
I did. I ordered from www.thatpetplace.com I was so happy with my fish they had to travel from PA to NV cross country. They showed up less stressed then if I drove them home my self.

I ordered them priority so I got them with in 24 hrs or so from the time the were shipped. One of the fish bags did leak so he was a bit stressed if it was any longer he might have not made it. So only priority mail order because you never know if a bag will leak.

So I recomend thatpetplace.com I also buy my plants from them.

They were shipped to my door by fedex Priority mail. It was $45 but worth it.

You are looking for BN plecos. Too bad your in FL I know of a person in Reno that has a bunch I'm picking one up wed. I found these on craigslist post a a want add on craigslist some one might respond.
 
I've bought from www.wetspottropicalfish.com, through aquabid.com

The fish were small (it was not a surprise, he was clear about it) but they were well packed, shipped on time, and the price was good for what is a very rare fish I'd not been able to get locally. They've since matured and I'm quite happy.

People have also always had good things to say from liveaquaria.com
 
Thanks, guys. I looked into aquabid and thought it was a GREAT idea, but no one had 2 of the regular bristlenose up for bid. There were bulk ones, but we only want a pair.

Then I looked into liveaquaria and was hesitant because they were being shipped from california. We're in Florida and that's a LONG way to ship, and they don't breed there - they import.

Soooo.... I ended up placing an order with this company: Live Fish Direct - they are a fishery in Utah who breeds their own fish there and then ships nationwide. FedEx shipping was ridiculously expensive, but then again - it's overnight and they are shipping live creatures.

I'll let you know how it works out!
 
Thanks, guys. I looked into aquabid and thought it was a GREAT idea, but no one had 2 of the regular bristlenose up for bid. There were bulk ones, but we only want a pair.

Then I looked into liveaquaria and was hesitant because they were being shipped from california. We're in Florida and that's a LONG way to ship, and they don't breed there - they import.

Soooo.... I ended up placing an order with this company: Live Fish Direct - they are a fishery in Utah who breeds their own fish there and then ships nationwide. FedEx shipping was ridiculously expensive, but then again - it's overnight and they are shipping live creatures.

I'll let you know how it works out!

Shipping fish is always painful on the wallet.
 
Yep. I sell rainbows on aquabid so I know how much is costs to ship. Usually I lose a small amount every time I ship with the costs of bags, insulation, heat packs, etc. You get the idea.
 
Good luck. Just make sure you stay home the day they are to arive and you will be fine.
 
Just thought I'd update this -

The plecos arrived this morning and both were alive and happy. They are beautiful!!! Small, about 2 inches long, but have the most beautiful spotted fins! They are happily sucking on a fake log at the moment.

www.livefishdirect.com was a success!!!
 
Awesome. It feels like your 10 and it's your birthday when you order fish. So exciting happy to hear it went well.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top