Orca Tl-450 Anybody?

It's fine to run skimmerless, they are optional. Recomended though for a beginner, but optional all the same :good:

well everything is finally running at planned with no problems now!
with response to the green 'mantis' looking thing, i had the pleasure of seein it come out of a hole....and grab hold of a small crab (about 7mm in size)....it then forced it into its hole, folding it completely in half as the hole was small, and i can only guess it had a nice dinner that night! lol
is this the knida thing a mantis would do??
ive still had no luck in finding out what it is, but it def doesn't look like a mantis! :crazy: wonderin if theres diff species ofmantis or somethin which it could be!

ah jus remembered!...wanted to ask a question about coral!....

i have pulsing xenia, which is doing really well in there!
what sort of coral would be best for me to put in my tank??
all i have found at the mo is things such as zoas, mushrooms, polyps, capnella and ricordea, thats what another person on here has in their orca. are these a good selection???? or are there better things which would suit my tank better??? :unsure:

my xenia....needs pruning i know!!!!!

fishtankpics.jpg

Crab is one thing on a mantis's menu, yes. :sad: One things for shure, if it's predating crabs, it's a baddy and needs to come out :sad:

god, its literally guna b impossible to get it out, it hardley ever comes out as it is! and wen it does its only for a second as it runs to the next hole! :crazy:

How bigger piece of LR is it in? Do you know which is it's hole?

I should add, Mantis aren't usualy bold enough to take pray while people are watching, but it has been known.

Do you have a sump? (I'm guessing no)

You could try a mantis trap with a coke bottle. Cut the neck off, add some food to the main body as bait and a small rock to weigh it down, before then tapeing the neck back on the wrong way arround. :good: If the hole isn't large enough to allow the thing in, carefully cut into the neck to widen the whole a bit more. Once done, fill with aquarium water and set it near the things hole :good: After that, all you can do is wait and set free anything you diden't want to catch, like say an un-suspecting cleaner/other shrimp...

All the best
Rabbut

ye sods law its in the biggest piece! :angry:

hmm ive seen it in 3 diff places, and wonderin around on one occasion, it was diggin into the rock so im persuming it was finding a new home...however all the holes are in the same area so mayb that traps the only possible chance im guna have of catchin it!
what would u suggest i do with it IF im lucky enough to get it?! :blink: lol

Keep it in a plastic jar and get a good photo of it up here for ID :good: A mantis could then be sold on if it's one of a few species, as many want to keep them as pets. Other critters you may have to give away to a LFS or local with a sump, others are best euthanised :sad:

+1 for the coke bottle trap. if you don't see it much during the day, some species are semi-nocturnal ;)

Yes your choice of corals are good, and well suited to your tank :good:
I think you should leave the xenia as it is, it looks nice.
My personal favourite is the ricordea, you can get some lovely colours :drool:
You could also think about a Euphyllia may be a torch or hammer would be ok or the frogspawn. Slightly harder to keep but not impossible.

ah right sounds interestin, will have a look into them corals, thanks!
well since i said about catchin the green thing...ive not seen it!! lol sods law!

had a bit of a bad week this week, 1st a turbo snail kept falling off the rock, so i had to keep turning it over, 4 times this happened, on the last time, i turned it over n it hasn't moved for 3 days now...so i think its well and truely dead :angry:

then today before doing my water change..i noticed my sally light foot was gettin a little close to the powerhead, he does this often!...today was to be his fate! as he kinda got stuck on it and died :shout:

i had to check that myself!!!! lol
but no it most def was the actual crab! :sad:
he was doin really well in there too. but now ive had one i dont think id get another one as it didn't seem to do much to be honest!! theres no substitute to turbo snails...just cant beat em!!! :fun:

Hi Everyone,

I have a Boyu TL450 (seems identical to the Orca TL450. I have a issue with temperature... its running at 28-30 C! with no heaters running. Has anyone had problems with heat in these tanks? I cannot seem to eliminate the problem? I have had the tank 4 days (so its just beginning to do its cycling thing) it is just because it's cycling? is this normal for a cycling tank?

Regards

Hi Everyone,

I have a Boyu TL450 (seems identical to the Orca TL450. I have a issue with temperature... its running at 28-30 C! with no heaters running. Has anyone had problems with heat in these tanks? I cannot seem to eliminate the problem? I have had the tank 4 days (so its just beginning to do its cycling thing) it is just because it's cycling? is this normal for a cycling tank?

Regards

Hi mate! has the stock lighting been modified in anyway! eg halide/s. Are the fans working in the hood, are there any vents in the hood that are blocked (build up of dust etc) is the tank near any external heat source ( eg radiator/panel heater/plasma tv).

I've never known a tank run at that temp without a heater ( are you in a hot climate or are you UK)

I have the TL 550 and never had a prob with temp (you should be able to hear your fans running)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back