ORANGE PLATY COME HOME!

pandapops001

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay so he was absolutely fine, but has disappeared overnight, and he showed absolutely no signs of illness, and was skooling happily with the mollies yesterday.

I have taken the two ornaments and plants out of the tank and searched throughout the tank, i even searched the filter despite the platy being an inch long and half an inch high, i searched around the outside of the tank and everywhere and he is just not there

I have
4 mollys
3 platys
3 guppies
4 neons
4 cherry barbs
1 swordtail
1 plec (waiting to rehome)

I thought the plec was vegetarian, but he ate some bloodworms the other day, so perhaps he has eaten him. Seems the other fish arent big enough and dont have teeth i have ruled them out (am i wrong). The plec's mouth is probably big enough to have swallowed him whole, but he never even seems to go near the other fish.

This is a really horrible thought but i really cant think of anything else, please help, the hood was on and he was feeding happily etc

well i checked it all tstenback, then when my partner came home he checked too, plus the water level was lower than usual last night because i ran out of dechlorinator yesterday on my third bucket so i couldnt fully fill the tank back up.

It was about 3 inches down from the hole in the hood, and i dont think he could of jumped that high.....could he?

Anyways i'll check the filter again, :unsure:

The plants are all spread little leafed, i dont know their names but they wouldnt conceal anything they have been eaten too much, need to get more this week.

I really am so baffled

HI CSRMel, thats really sweet thankyou although i doubt we are anywhere near each other, i tend to think that i'm the only member from Bristol Uk, as i've never ever seen anybody else anywhere near?

oh yeah, i didnt see you were in uk, shipping would be a killer from the usa to you.

Weird Weird Weird,

Okay so all the ornaments and plants were thoroughly checked and left out of the tank for at least 10 minutes while we were searching the tank, however today i get back from the lfs and there he is.

My partner thought he was dead, but he just swam away like he'd never been gone, but he definately went somewhere as the tank was empty (all bar the fish and substrate) and he was not there, and if he was in any of the plants or ornaments, he would of been dead for how long they were out of the tank

Extremely confused, still at least he's healthy and happy

LOL, yes very funny ClutteryDrawer, i think i'm going mad!! However i guess my partner must be too as he couldnt see it either :rofl:

So glad to have him back though

glad to hear you have him back.
One of my clown loaches disappeared not so long ago, they have a tendancy to hide. I did a large water change and tank rearrange, I removed everything, plants bogwood, ornaments fish etc.
After about an hour and a half I started putting things back in, plants first, then the bogwood, at this point i noticed my missing clown loach laying in my hatchery outside the tank, (I had put the bogwood on top of this) he had been out of the tank for nearly 2 hours before i noticed him. I thought he would have been dead but when I picked him up he was still warm so I placed him in the water, he weakly flapped a fin at which point i picked him up carefully and gave him a rub, he swam off, all-be-it upside down and on his side, he was gasping in the water but he eventually recovered and is now the most active fish in the tank.
Your fish could just be a mirical fish like mine was and has survived been out of the tank and has decided now that hiding is not a really good idea as you might 'punish' it again!
Just a thought.
Kaz

I'm glad you found your fish. It's very suprising how well fish can hide in a well planted tank. Sometimes I really worry about some of mine coz I hardly ever see them. Even when I clean the tank and do water changes they still hide - I know I've got 4 clown loaches but I've no idea where they are also my 3 polka dot loaches - I can nearly always see one, but the other two have sneaked off somewhere - and my ADF's were MIA for ages. But once in blue moon they all decide to show themselves just to let me know that they're all alive and well and then they go off again on their travels round the tank :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back