Oranda Goldfish face problems?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ArchieTheGoldfish

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here I hope this is the right place to post. So 2 weeks ago I bought two small Oranda goldfish the size of a ping pong ball and placed each of them on two small aquariums till we get a bigger tank. The small tank gets easily contaminated so today I placed the two of them in a 5 liter cut up water container. Then I just noticed that the bigger one, Gideon(unsure of the gender) got a red sort of rash on one of his cheek under his eye. the "rash" got scales sticking out of it. Im not sure what this is now i moved him back on the small tank because the other goldfish is like bumping Gideon in the bum and the sides repeatedly (bullying? I dunno :/ ). Please help im new to goldfish care. Gideon is so stressed now from the moving he's just sitting at the bottom quietly im so worried....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 120
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I need a better picture.

His Pectoral (side) fin appears to be red too, which could be poor water quality.

Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Monitor the fish and post some pictures that are in focus. Check them on your pc before putting them here.

If you can post a short 30 second video of the fish bumping each other, it might provide more info.

I agree that we need a better pic. I have goldies too and just love them! Do you know how old the fish are? The other fish could be a male and attempting to get Gideon to breed, which means she’s a female. Do you see any white spots on the other fishes grille are pectoral fins? These are tubercles it’s breeding spot which the males get as they reach breeding age. Goldfish males continually bump the females during breeding season to get them to release eggs. The males then swim over and release their silt to fertilize the eggs. Spring and Fall when weather is cool is when most goodies like to spawn.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back