Options... (but I Dont Want To Choose)

saz326

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hertfordshire
My tank stockinglist at the bottom (sig) is out of date by the way - thought I had best say that first off. (shall change it in a mo.)

I have a 200 litre, planted community aquarium. Fluval 205 external filter (so not overfiltered - just right)

I have:
various shrimps
6 Cories (various)
9 black phantom tetra (shoal that WILL NOT SHOAL GRRRR)
5 silver-tipped tetra (another shoal that won't shoal)
4 black skirt tetra
2 red-robin gourami
1 bristlenose plec
1 male cockatoo dwarf cichlid (girlfriends coming soon)


I would really like to have a slightly larger fish in the tank that would help to encourage shoaling of the 2 shoals. And preferably one that would not spend all its time on the aquarium floor.

I've contemplated Keyhole cichlids, but I think they will be too timid to "scare" (without nastiness) the shoals into shoaling, and I dont really want any more bottom dwellers. Is there another fish of similar size that would do the job and would be suitable for my tank?

I am willing to remove the black skirt tetras. (*sob* - I love those things) There are only 4 of them and they do seem to prefer to be present in larger numbers - but I dont think I have a suitable layout in the tank to get more and have a shoal. Especially if I then add a larger fish to the tank.
 
Geophagus surinamensis or brasiliensis or jurupari.
Festivum, severum or pr of angelfish
 
Not sure your shrimps will survive long with geos or sev's cant speak for festivs or angels though.
 
Looked them up Colin. Recon most would get a bit too big for my liking. Seems like the festivum would soon make a mess of my plants. Thanks for your help tho.

MY partner recons we should put a photo of a shark behind the tank so the shoals group together for comfort.. :lol:

Not just me then - they do look smug. Think its the way they also seem to turn their noses up.

good point minxfishy. I do like my shrimp so would be sure to avoid their losses.
 
Unfortunately if you use a small species of cichlid it probably won't make the fish shoal. They need something that is big enough to keep them a bit worried. However, I didn't realise you had shrimp and as minxy said the shrimp wouldn't last long with those fish.

You could always try increasing the number of fish in each group. ie: get the numbers up to 20 or so of each tetra. Sometimes that will help them stay closer together. Tho the more fish you have the more water changes you will have to do to keep the tank clean.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top