Opportunities For Moss?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking about planting some moss in my 170L. But simply put, I've not got a scooby on where I could put it. Should it be central so if I happen to get shrimp, they'll come out and scavenge in it? Should it be to the left with the rest of the plants? Or to the right near the rocks? Not a clue.

So, if any great master of planting and landscaping comes across this thread, some help and pointers would be great! Here's the tank (sorry for the blurry photos!) and a few angles to get a better idea of my potential spots to plant it.
1619527384022.png

(Left side - planted area, pretty scarce and lacking)
1619527681853.png

(Central - large, open space where the corys eat)
1619527841905.png

(Right angle - behind and around large rocks where the pleco and vampire shrimp hang out)
1619527806603.png

I hate moss, so damn messy, especially when it comes time to trim it back, which WILL happen....but shrimp do love it, as do egg-laying fish
That being said, IMO, I'd place it on the right with the rocks, as suggested above...

Certainly not a master but I would put it over the rocks.
I'd place it on the right with the rocks, as suggested above...
Any particular reason why?

I hate moss, so damn messy, especially when it comes time to trim it back, which WILL happen....but shrimp do love it, as do egg-laying fish
That being said, IMO, I'd place it on the right with the rocks, as suggested above...
The plant maintenance is quite a breeze for me! I enjoy it, lol.

Any particular reason why?

Wait until you have scores of plant bits all throughout the tank, clogging intakes and growing on any little surface they can "grab" onto....:angry:...you might change your mind about moss, lol

For the placement I suggested, I just feel like the tank needs some greenery on the right side, but there's many alternatives to moss for that...

Think it would balance the look with some greenery on that side.
For the placement I suggested, I just feel like the tank needs some greenery on the right side, but there's many alternatives to moss for that...
You're both definitely right there. I've been considering some bigger plants for over in the right, since it is quite lacking right now.

I would personally put it on the driftwood, as it adheres better on there, than on rocks. Additionally, I would add it to the center driftwood piece, as it’s right under the light. I had my clump of Java Moss right under the light for years, and it flourished.

I agree, it’s really not that bad. On cleaning day, of course I found some moss clogged in my filter intake, but that can be expected.

——

I would personally put it on the driftwood, as it adheres better on there, than on rocks. Additionally, I would add it to the center driftwood piece, as it’s right under the light. I had my clump of Java Moss right under the light for years, and it flourished.
Maybe I'll give it a test run, I'll put a little bit on the driftwood, and see how it goes.
I agree, it’s really not that bad. On cleaning day, of course I found some moss clogged in my filter intake, but that can be expected.

——
Love when you clog it with plant bits, and then your tetras start swimming towards it because they've got a death wish. Highlight of my day, obviously (/sarcasm)

Maybe I'll give it a test run, I'll put a little bit on the driftwood, and see how it goes.
You can put a bit on the driftwood and the rocks. It spreads very quickly!

Do you plan to dose fertilizers?

I haven't so far, but maybe I'll look into it. Any advice?
I was just asking because if you were going to, the moss would explode. They don’t need fertilizers, but they would definitely flourish from it.

(Don’t have any suggestions, as I’ve never used any. :/)

I was just asking because if you were going to, the moss would explode. They don’t need fertilizers, but they would definitely flourish from it.

(Don’t have any suggestions, as I’ve never used any. :/)
Hmm... Maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm taking bits out of my 54L right now and it's already grown quite a lot, I just never noticed it I suppose.

not a master, but i'd put it on the riht and under the plants a little
a little bland on the right rocks

Most reactions

Back