Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Opinions on this Tank

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Hamsnacks, May 10, 2019.

1. Hamsnacks

Hamsnacks Fish Fanatic

Picked up a brand new 44 Gallon Long Tank
    48" Wide, 1/2" Thick Goass.

Was planning on making it a planted tank and putting it in the kids room.

2 Issues:

1) It is exactly 2" longer than the dresser, or 1" on each side. Will that be a problem? Someone recommended putting a piece of plywood and foam the size of the tank underneath and that should be good enough?

2) Can a standard dresser as shown in the picture handle 44 Gallons with sand and all?

Opinions

http://imgur.com/gallery/TWUrKhT

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Byron

Byron Member

Provided the dresser can hold up under the weight (your second question, which I cannot answer--with just water alone this tank will weigh about 400 lbs and this might buckle the dresser depending upon how it is structured) placing the tank on a sheet of plywood is ideal as this allows the tank to settle into the plywood naturally. I would use plywood no thinner than 3/4 inch. Make sure there is 1 inch minimum along all four sides of the tank so the entire tank frame is sitting on the plywood sheet (with or without the foam, on wood I don't bother with foam).

3. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier. Fish Fanatic

Is there another piece of furniture you could use? If the tank is bigger than the dresser that could cause significant problems