Opinions on ammonia remover?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I’m thinking of adding ammonia remover to my tank because I’m struggling to keep my levels down, spite the many water changes I’m doing. Has anyone ever used it or had any experience with it? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Water changes are your best bet. What do you test your ammonia with? I actually received a lesson in this just today. Our freshwater liquid test kits don’t break down the ammonia to tell us what is from ammonium Nh4 and ammonia Nh3. The item below will give you the actual Nh3 reading which indicates the harmful ammonia in the tank. You can be getting an ammonia reading from ammonium (Nh4) in your water which is actually safe for your fish. Using ammonia removers is never a good idea as our beneficial bacteria in the tanks actually need ammonia to feed on.
upload_2019-2-21_19-33-35.jpeg

Last edited:
Water changes are your best bet. What do you test your ammonia with? I actually received a lesson in this just today. Our freshwater liquid test kits don’t break down the ammonia to tell us what is from ammonium Nh4 and ammonia Nh3. The item below will give you the actual Nh3 reading which indicates the harmful ammonia in the tank. You can be getting an ammonia reading from ammonium (Nh4) in your water which is actually safe for your fish. Using ammonia removers is never a good idea as our beneficial bacteria in the tanks actually need ammonia to feed on.View attachment 90288

Many thanks for your reply Deanasue. Thank you for this information. I currently use a tetra liquid test kit. I have attached a picture below of the one I use. I’m constantly having problems with ammonia I’ve carried out 3/4 50% water changes today and my readings are still positive! Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 6CF0EA58-69D9-4E7D-B7D8-47B324B99253.jpeg
    6CF0EA58-69D9-4E7D-B7D8-47B324B99253.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 175
Well, that one should break it down for you. Are you getting more Nh3 or Nh4?

Ammonia removers can be used in emergency situations. However, if you have an ammonia problem you need to find out why and fix that.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long has the filter been running for?
Have you changed any of the filter media during the last month?
How do you clean the filter and how often do you clean it?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Have you checked the tank for dead fish, dead plants or rotting food?

-----------------------
The quickest way to fix ammonia problems is to reduce feeding to 2 times per week. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding, and any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you still get ammonia readings after water changes and reducing feeding, then it is probably coming from something in the tank.
eg: driftwood, rock or shell with something dead on or in it. Some substrates can also produce ammonia.

What type of substrate is in the tank?

Ammonia removers can be used in emergency situations. However, if you have an ammonia problem you need to find out why and fix that.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long has the filter been running for?
Have you changed any of the filter media during the last month?
How do you clean the filter and how often do you clean it?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Have you checked the tank for dead fish, dead plants or rotting food?

-----------------------
The quickest way to fix ammonia problems is to reduce feeding to 2 times per week. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding, and any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you still get ammonia readings after water changes and reducing feeding, then it is probably coming from something in the tank.
eg: driftwood, rock or shell with something dead on or in it. Some substrates can also produce ammonia.

What type of substrate is in the tank?

Many thanks for your response. The tanks been set up around 3 and a half weeks now. I used the old media for the first few days and then removed it because I ended up with cloudy water. So the new media has been in a few weeks. The 5 gallon was set up for about 4 weeks I started with 3 males guppies that were in a 5g and then moved them into their new home. 2 weeks later I added another 4 males. Their quite small almost babies but not fry. I carry out water changes every few days because it’s a new tank. I try to gravel clean at least once or twice a week too: I’m not sure what the problem could be. Thanks for your help.

You changed the filter media and removed the bacteria that would be breaking down the ammonia and converting it into nitrite and nitrate. Basically your filter has been cleaned of all the beneficial bacteria and is cycling again.

You should see the ammonia drop in the next week or so and then nitrite will start to go up. A few weeks after the nitrite goes up it will come down and the nitrate will go up. When the ammonia and nitrite levels have gone up and come back down to 0, the tank will be cycled. Until then keep the feeding down and do water changes.

If you want to try and speed the cycling process up you can add liquid bacterial supplements (available from most pet shops or online). I recommend adding them at a double dose every day for a week and then put the rest in the fridge or in the tank (if there's only a bit left). However, you are close to half way through the cycling process so I wouldn't bother with the bacterial supplement.

Colin is correct. There’s your answer to your ammonia problem. If you had left the old material in the filter then your tank would be cycled now and no ammonia problems. Get the bottled bacteria that Colin mentioned or find some more old filter floss to seed the tank with. The floss has to remain wet, don’t let it dry out. Good luck!

Many thanks to both of you for your feedback. I added some evolution aqua aquarium balls in. These aim to break down ammonia and nitrates in addition to adding beneficial bacteria. After a few hours once tested again and the water ammonia levels were the same I started water changes again. So these may have been removed however I’ve performed another 50% water change today and added more in. Hopefully my ammonia turns into nitrites soon. I can’t wait for this cycle to be over I feel bad for my poor fishes. I can’t use the old media now because it’s been dry for weeks. My old tank was also set up around the same time as the new one now. So I imagine the media had the same amount of bacteria on now. Thank you again for all your help. I suppose it’s just a waiting game now!

I would definitely add a bacterial supplement. Tetra's SafeStart if you can get it locally (a small bottle will do you) or Seachem's Stability.

BTW, on the total and free ammonia and your Tetra test...this test kit only shows total ammonia. In acidic water (pH below 7) it will be primarily if not totally ammonium which is basically harmless. In basic (pH above 7) water there is more ammonia and less ammonium and this can be toxic, moreso the higher the pH. Just so you know about the test, it does not differentiate like the Seachem allegedly does.

I would definitely add a bacterial supplement. Tetra's SafeStart if you can get it locally (a small bottle will do you) or Seachem's Stability.

BTW, on the total and free ammonia and your Tetra test...this test kit only shows total ammonia. In acidic water (pH below 7) it will be primarily if not totally ammonium which is basically harmless. In basic (pH above 7) water there is more ammonia and less ammonium and this can be toxic, moreso the higher the pH. Just so you know about the test, it does not differentiate like the Seachem allegedly does.

Many thanks for your response Byron. I have tetra aqua safe and tetra easy balance. However I’ve not been using any of these just API tap water conditioner and the minerals to make my water harder as you recommended previously. Tetra sage start is available in pretty much every local pet store in the UK so I will definitely look into purchasing this. The information you have provided about the liquid test kit I am using is quite reassuring. Thank you for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back