Opening Tff Goes To A Page About Wireless Routers - Warning

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RobRocksFishTank

Moved On
Reaction score
Since day one of looking at TFF, I have always seen a web page with information on it about wireless routers. Going back and re-click TFF and I get here. In the beginning I thought it might be temporary but it has persisted. This happens on two computers in different locations using Win 7 and Chrome. One has adblock installed, the other not. Today, for I decided to read the page about routers. As I was reading, I moused over an ad on that page and started getting virus warnings. They looked like fake warnings so I backed out real quick. I'm pretty sure the installed protection blocked anything, if not. That was my work computer and I continued working after that, so I'm fairly certain nothing happened.

I'm posting this for two reasons; first as warning to anyone that might get directed to that page when trying to get here, second to find out if anyone else has seen this and knows how to avoid it as I am considering avoiding this site if i can't avoid that other website. In the mean time, I will try a couple different shortcuts to see if I can come up with something.

Regards,

Rob

You might want to look into running a few free online malware and virus scans to be on the safe side.

Of course. Scans are in order. The installed software has pretty good live protection, but I'm playing it safe and not remote connecting to it tonight and will scan first thing in the morning.

Thank you for that, everyone should know that scanning is always a good idea.

Hi RobRocksFishTank

Is this only happening on this site?

Of course. Scans are in order.
What scans?

Today, for I decided to read the page about routers. As I was reading, I moused over an ad on that page and started getting virus warnings.

If you suspect malware has gotten onto your system, Or If you just want to be sure that your PC is clean, You can visit Bleepingcomputer and we can assist you.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

You will need to join up then pease read the pinned topics on getting help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Please note
This is all free.
Bleeping Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NickAu said:
Hi RobRocksFishTank

Is this only happening on this site?
Yes, it is only happening here.

NickAu said:
What scans?

Virus and malware.

NickAu said:
If you suspect malware has gotten onto your system, Or If you just want to be sure that your PC is clean,

Like I said, I am fairly confident that nothing got in. That machine has decent protection installed. It is my work computer. I can do the scans but I'm not in charge of what is installed on it.

My home computer has adblock, so there is no chance of mousing over the ad that gave me the pop-up warnings.

Not a problem, Look us up someday see what we do at Bleepingcomputer.com, If you like join up say hi, feel free to mention this great site in your intro post. And remember if you need help all you have to do is ask.

This invatation goes out to all the members and staff here a http://www.fishforums.net.

My Profile page on Bleepingcomputer.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/869124/nickau/

Okay, think I've figured this out. When using Bing to get here, brings me to that wireless router page but only on the first attempt. Going back and clicking on the same link gets you here. Not sure if anything can be done about it, but maybe Bing should be contacted.

There's clearly something odd going on. I'll see if we can't track down what's causing it. 

That makes me think the problem isn't with the forum itself. If it was then going directly here would still create the issue.

It definitely is not a problem with the forum website. My very poorly worded (probably beer induced) OP did not include how I was getting here. I should have said that I was using a search engine. A little exploration revealed that that was the cause. Despite the listing on said search engine, which is different from the one mentioned above, the links are defective. For the search engine that I use, it is only defective for the first click, if I go back and click again, it brings me here. At the time, I was very new to the website and had just decided that I liked it and wanted to know if anyone had a similar problem.

The website that I get brought to on the first click is the same one all the time. The one I mentioned in my OP, the one with info about wireless routers. It appears  to be innocuous. The ad window at the top of the page is the culprit. Either that, or a clever combination of the two. All it took was a mouse over the ad for the download to occur. I do not have that issue at home because I use Adblock.

I did not do a scan on that computer until something weird happened on the same wireless router website some days later. A little research on that weirdness revealed it was a threat. A minor one but an identified threat. Since it is my work computer, I had to notify IT. They promptly did a thorough temp file clean-up and a deep scan. It appears that the clean-up which included temp and hidden (for me) files was the fix as the scan did not find any threats and the symptoms of the threat stopped at that time. Yes, I did intentionally and very carefully go back to that website with that computer to see if the symptoms did not show in exactly the only place that I had seen them before. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact name of the threat. It was one of those PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Program).

First time I have had any problem today and I come to the site via a bookmark.

Clicked on the bookmark and Opera browser gave me a 'malicious site flash page'.  Said that this site was flagged up as malicious and gave me the option to return or ignore the warning.  I ignored the warning and it came to the forum as normal.

Thought I would just give a heads up on this one.  Didn't do it this morning so I suppose that during today there will have been a number of reports for it to be taken seriously and I assume that would mean someone(s) reporting it for sinister reasons.

Even now in my address bar there is a red circle with an exclamation mark to the left of the address.  When I click on that it says:

MALWARE WARNING

This site has been reported as containing malware, and
its contents should not be trusted.

This should be gone now. Let me know if it returns. 

Using two different browsers and going from two different search engines brought me here on the first try.

That's a good sign.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back