Open Top Tanks?

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I imagine the water to evaporate really quickly leaving limescale rim marks and i also worry for the fish jumping out, can anyone add anything positive?
 
I imagine the water to evaporate really quickly leaving limescale rim marks and i also worry for the fish jumping out, can anyone add anything positive?


Not recommended! The snails may escape/ Swordtails and Barbs can jump. (maybe even a plastic cover with holes in would be better than opentop.) :rolleyes:
 
I imagine the water to evaporate really quickly leaving limescale rim marks and i also worry for the fish jumping out, can anyone add anything positive?


Not recommended! The snails may escape/ Swordtails and Barbs can jump. (maybe even a plastic cover with holes in would be better than opentop.) :rolleyes:

I don't have swordtails or barbs lol

This would be a tank for fish I don't own yet, maybe a guppy tank, or a galaxy rasbora tank
 
I imagine the water to evaporate really quickly leaving limescale rim marks and i also worry for the fish jumping out, can anyone add anything positive?


Not recommended! The snails may escape/ Swordtails and Barbs can jump. (maybe even a plastic cover with holes in would be better than opentop.) :rolleyes:

I don't have swordtails or barbs lol

This would be a tank for fish I don't own yet, maybe a guppy tank, or a galaxy rasbora tank

All fish can jump. I was taking some molly fry (about 6 months old) to my LFS. I was putting them in an ice cream tub, put a couple in, was trying to net the next when my husband said 'is that a fish on the floor?', one of the babies jumper right out the ice cream tub onto the floor, not sure how long he'd been lying there but once back in the tub he was fine. He was a tiddler and he made the jump. Not recommended.
 
I've had open-top tanks for years with no problems.

Have a look in my journals in my sig. I'm going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons and say i actually prefer open-top.

I have barbs and danios which are said to be jumpers, but i've never had one jump yet.

I say go for it. The only problem is that you need to top up more often because of the increased evaporation, but thats not much hassle at all.

Obviously with open-top, you'd avoid the likes of shrimp or hatchets. That'd be asking for trouble. Just be sensible about it and it's really fine.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
Got an open top here and the only thing that has jumped has been one Amano Shrimp when I first put them in. Since they have settled they have been fine too. I usually top up around 8-10 litres a week in a 260 litre tank so not terrible really.
 
The advantages of open tops are that they are easy to work in, and quick to feed. This is more of an advantage for a multiple tank breeding setup, where time is money. The disadvantages, besides the occasional jumper, is evaporation, which can lead to condensation in colder areas of the room or house.

Condensation in small, constant amounts will eventually lead to mold growth, a health hazard. With larger setups it will lead to rotting and deterioration of the wall finishings, and given enough time & moisture, the structure itself.
 
Condensation in small, constant amounts will eventually lead to mold growth, a health hazard. With larger setups it will lead to rotting and deterioration of the wall finishings, and given enough time & moisture, the structure itself.

I think the possibility of this is blown out of all proportion. It would have to be a pretty big tank for one thing. I've been running my 260 litre open top for years now and no sign of mould or rotting whatsoever. Also, the problem in most houses is that its too dry due to central heating, and so the moisture probably does no harm at all.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has experienced these problems with open-top tanks first-hand. It seems to be one of those things where everyone will quote the problems it can cause, but i don't know anyone, and haven't even heard of anyone who has actually experienced these problems.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
"I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has experienced these problems with open-top tanks first-hand. It seems to be one of those things where everyone will quote the problems it can cause, but i don't know anyone, and haven't even heard of anyone who has actually experienced these problems."

I'll list two for you, seen first hand. Like I said, this is usually seen in multiple tank breeding setups, not a tank or 3 kept around the house by your casual aquarist.

Don, a local breeder and fellow club member, with around 25 tanks set up in his garage. I'm guessing he's around the 1,000 gallon mark, which isn't that way out for a hobby breeder around here. He does about half breeding, half importing, selling fish at auctions & local shops. His 1 1/2 car garage has an independant gas fired space heater, which will cut down on humidity, but not enough to keep the plaster/drywall from falling from the ceiling, exposing mold growing on the 2x6 structural members of the roof. Uncovered tanks.

Bob, a large breeder who recently retired, lives in Indiana. I picked up some gear from him as he was shutting down his setup, 300 forty gallon tanks in a 2 1/2 car garage that went back twice as far, with a 14 foot ceiling. This structure had 2x6's that were actually rotting away in the ceiling, the structure was getting unstable after 20+ years. Uncovered tanks.

Another Bob, a local guy & good friend, around 700 gallons in 30 tanks set up in his basement. Breeds corys & guppys, used to do the show circuit years ago with guppys. Mold growth in the corners of the basement, the whole house smells musty the second you walk in. Condensation on the basement windows is causing the ledges to rot. Uncovered tanks.

Dick, another club guy, who passed away nearly 2 years ago. Another guy with tanks in the basement, and mold growing on the rafters. Uncovered tanks.

Ooops, a couple more than two. I have my tanks covered, and have a vent fan on a timer, and still have mold growth in a low corner, coldest area of the fishroom. Every few months I have to pull out that tank, scrub the wall & bleach it, often giving it a quick coat of paint. This is with tanks covered with styrene light diffuser panels, tighter than most tops available for sale.

Rich, another local angel breeder and good friend, covered tanks, just as much as mine, very similar setup. Slight mold growth in one cold corner.

Johnny, nephew of guppy Bob, angel & discus breeder, 60 some tanks, 3,000 gallons or so, basement setup. Everything covered, incredible ventilation, corners kept empty to avoid mold growth. No mold problem at all, he obviously doesn't want his house ending up like his uncles. If I tore down & redid my setup there are several of his ideas that would be used.

Pm me for names, addresses, and/or phone numbers. If I post something without stating that I heard it somewhere or read it somewhere it is a pretty good bet that I experienced it personally somewhere.
 
Open top or uncovered aquariums are often used by marine aquarists so maximum light can get into the tank. If the coverglass is not perfectly clean it can prevent a fair amount of light from getting thru and into the tank where it is needed for plant/ coral growth.

If you have an uncovered tank and are concerned about fish jumping out, get a wooden hood made up to go around the top. The hood doesn't have to have anything on top just the 4 walls or surrounds. This will help to prevent things going awall.

Covers do stop water from getting onto light units. And they help stop water from splashing over the edge and causing stands to rot or corrode. Tanks with airstones bubbling away usually have more problems with this compared to tanks running power filters.

Covers also limit salt creep in marine tanks. They don't prevent it completely but do reduce the amount of salt creep and limit it to certain areas.
 
Another one my son pointed out was the family 4 legged pet taking a soaking in the tank. Thankfully the worst I've had personally was a dog drinking/going fishing from a low tank when the cover was off, or more recently my dog trying to eat flakes off of the surface when feeding a low tank.

I have heard of cats taking a dunking, as well as being informed by a terrier adoption screener that my 72 gallon show tank was a danger for a curious dog. She has seen cases of adopted Cairns trying to get at fish, and ending up in tanks. A few times it has ended badly.
 
Talking of animals going swimming. I had a pair of ferrets that lived in a cage in my fishroom. I would let them out to run around when I was home and keep them in the cage when away. Most of my tanks were covered but I had a 4ft tank sitting a couple of inches above the floor and it was 2/3s covered with glass. One half side was completely covered while the other half side was only half covered, god that's confusing. Anyway there was a gap about 10inches wide bewteen the middle cross member of the tank and one of the covers.
I had let the ferrets out to run around and went into the room one time and saw a ferret swimming around the tank chasing fish. The other ferret was sitting on the smaller coverglass eating a fish.
I knew I was losing fish but didn't know where they were going. The cheeky lil buggars had been knocking off my fish for weeks but I didn't realise it was them until I actually saw it.
Well I got another bit of glass after that and stopped losing fish. It was pretty cool to watch tho, natural predation.
 
The advantages of open tops are that they are easy to work in, and quick to feed. This is more of an advantage for a multiple tank breeding setup, where time is money.

Like I said, this is usually seen in multiple tank breeding setups, not a tank or 3 kept around the house by your casual aquarist.

Heres where the confusion arose then. You said the advantages, not the mould or structural damage, are usually seen in multiple tank breeding setups.

Pm me for names, addresses, and/or phone numbers.

I don't think thats necessary, i was just curious to see if anyone had experienced it. I can see it maybe happening in multiple tank breeding setups, that makes sense. However, you seem to agree that its not very likely in an average aquarists 1 or 2 tank setup. This is what i was saying about the risks being blown out of all proportion as many people will advise the casual aquarist against open-top tanks for these very reasons.
 
Just a question to throw in that came to mind when I was tempted by a open top before my husband put his foot down:

Do open they cost more to run as the heat is not contained by a lid?

Oh I've had jumping fish my plattys are terrible for it, so you might want to watch them closely for a few days.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top