One Or Two Fabulos Fish For My Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

theweavingwelshman

Reaction score
I have Seven Tiger Bars Two Cory's and Two Elec Yellow in a 30 gal. tank. I would like one or two great looking fish that the barb's will not mess with.

I have Seven Tiger Bars Two Cory's and Two Elec Yellow in a 30 gal. tank. I would like one or two great looking fish that the barb's will not mess with.
elec yellows as in the African rift lake cichlid? If so take the two back as they aren't suitable for your tank with the other fish you have. Completely different care/water requirements.
And then bump up your cory #'s to 5 or six or more depending on the tank dimensions.

elec yellows as in the African rift lake cichlid? If so take the two back as they aren't suitable for your tank with the other fish you have. Completely different care/water requirements.
And then bump up your cory #'s to 5 or six or more depending on the tank dimensions.

+1

Then if you want a display fish, think of a pair of blue gouramis, or any variation there of.

+1

Then if you want a display fish, think of a pair of blue gouramis, or any variation there of.
Opaline gourami's have some intense coloration, and will be perfect IMO with the tiger barbs.

Are you sure on tigers and gourami's? Im pretty sure tigers will rip out their feelers and tear them up, also the same with the cories.
Rehome the electric yellows.

Thank for the reply's. After reading your posts I look up each of my fishes range.
Temp
KH Level
PH
They are all in the same range of the three. They all play well together no fighting. So what next is the ?

Are these what you are calling "Elec Yellow"? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_caeruleus.php

Sometimes fishkeepers will mix Rift Valley cichlids with some upper level ditherfish that also thrive in hard water (Rainbowfish are common), but I certainly would not mix tank bottom Corydoras with them (a few species come from mildy alkaline waters, but its more the aggression factor that is a major worry).

What are the dimensions of your tank? Having Malawi cichlids in anything less than a 4-footer is a risk in itself, as they typically need 4 females to each male in a slightly overstocked setup, in order to spread their aggression through the group.

Yes, that is them. Tank size: 30inches across 13 inches wide and 19 inches high. Have no aggression from any of my fish. They have been together now four weeks.

Either way they need to be rehomed, tank is not big enough, they like to be with species of their own kind.

Either way they need to be rehomed, tank is not big enough, they like to be with species of their own kind.
+1 plus as far as rift lake cichlids go, they should only be kept with other rift lake cichlids.

i would bump up the numbers of tiger barbs to like 12-15 to spread out aggresion, and then bump up the cories numbers to 6-8 before you think about getting any more fish :good:

Thanks again for your reply's. I added three more tigers to my tank. I also added two Bala Shark all is well. Also will be keeping my yellow labs. I enjoy them to much and nice color.

Thanks again for your reply's. I added three more tigers to my tank. I also added two Bala Shark all is well. Also will be keeping my yellow labs. I enjoy them to much and nice color.

Bala sharks are not suitable for your tank.
Your depriving these fish of their needs which is cruel, just because you enjoy them?

Isn't this y we get into this hobby to enjoy these fish ? To say," I'm depriving and cruel is a little strong mate. These two Bala are going in my 70 gal tank after it cycle and with my two labs. Now after coming from a ten gal tank at the store and being place in a 30 gal tank you do the math. And still my ? from my first post still has not been answer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back