one inch of fish per gallon

cutechic

Sol
Reaction score
i though the "one inch of fish per gallon" rule included shrimp, but someone said i coould have 3 ghost shrimp in my 1 gallon aquarium. ghost shrimp can grow up to 3 inches long, so that would be almost 9 inches of fish in the tank!

I believe it is more about the bio-load than total fish size. 3 ghost shrimp wouldn't create as much waste as a 9 inch fish (or 9 inches of fish) and seeing as they are scavengers they would assist in keeping the waste in the tank to a minimum. IMO 3 in a 1 gal tank would probably work fine.

ok thx for clearing that up. i was confused because if that rule applied to all fish, then that would mean i could have an oscar in a ten gallon, which obviously wouldnt work

Ya, that is true huh!!??? A 10" Oscar would be MISERABLE in a 10 gallon so I guess you do have to use common sense along with the 1 in. rule!!!

Good point to throw out there :thumbs:

Silver
:*

really? hmm. maybe i could get a pair of dwarf livebearers then. they would be ok in there, right?

tho you prolly could keep 3 in a one gallon tank i think one would be a better idea. i keep a cray and have been directed to a site ghost shrimp tho i was not directed straight to the ghost shrimp part. hmm according to that they grow to different lengths

interesting site, jamnog.

is the one gallon tank big enough for a quarantine tank? just in case one of my white clouds or my black neon gets sick?

well for a neon yea i would say its just about big enough possibly more if they are sick then it will do as sick fish tend not to be so active and hospital tanks tend not to have substrate or decor. and it would be short term.others would say its too small but i would use it as a hospital tank personally its infinately better than not having one.

so i should take out the gravel and plastic plant, and leave the ug filter?

also, do i leave the tank running all the time, or do i just keep water in it but start the ug filter if i need to put fish in it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back