Once And For All, Liquid Co2 Vs. Injection!

ech0o

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have an unopened bottle of CO2 booster+ sitting here on my desk, and have done quite a bit of forum surfing finding SO MANY MIXED REVIEWS buried across 40 forums.  So here it is, is the chemical used in the product really "safe" for my fish, and furthermore is it safe for me to even be handling?

Gas injection seems to be the way to go as far as the closest thing to all natural, but my tank is merely 5g and I keep hearing that it's a waste of time/money to inject such a small tank.  I wouldn't even be worried about it but I accidentally purchased an El Nino Fern without knowing much about it and it doesn't seem to be growing at all, in fact the central leaves are now starting to wither, I am sure it is both because of lighting and CO2, and I just ordered up a ton of LED modules and power adapters to do some DIY lighting.

So,  should i pour in the CO2+,  grab an injection kit, or wait for my lighting and see if that alone is enough to help the fern. 

THANKS!! 
cool1.gif

fish.gif

Its basically the same thing that is in Excel- glutaraldehyde. Its easy to research. You will have to decide how safe you feel it is.

I can tell you I have been dosing Excel for close to 12 years in 10 or so tanks. I do not overdose.

At best it will do about 1/3 of what real co2 gas will.

If you can afford to go the pressurized gas route, that is the most effective. reliable and cheapest long term option.

As TTA says, pressurised gas is generally regarded as the best answer. The reason people suggest liquid for smaller tanks is that the cost effectiveness of the gas (once you've paid the same for the regulator, tubing, needle valve, bubble counter, drop checker and diffusers [mostly]) is offset badly by the cost of setting up, so it takes years for the liquid costs to reach the costs of the set up for the gas in a smaller tank. Plus liquids can be easier to dose on the smaller tanks.

The more energy (light) you pour into the system, the more your complex plants will require carbon in some form (CO2 or gluteraldehyde) and minerals (fertlisers, firstly micronutrients but then macros as the energy levels rise), so if you're planning on upping the lighting then you're going to have to sort the CO2 at some point.

The reason that you're struggling to grow your el nino fern is that it's a pain to grow submerged, it really likes to grow emmersed and underwater it wants lots of light and CO2. Pretty plant but not all that happy underwater. Best I can suggest it attach it at the surface and let it grow in a part submerged position and you'll get some joy out of it.

so the el nino will grow ok outside of the tank?  because i have the plant basket over my fluval chi with rocks that I could submerse the roots in, i would love to stick it up there instead and throw a big Java in that corner instead!!!  this is wonderful news, taking the CO2 back to exchange for less demanding plants!

i just put in a small java 2 days ago, had a nice notch in my wood log that fit the root ball snug, don't even have to tie it in!!  That java is already shooting out leaves from the ball, they seem to grow quite easily, and the wisteria seems to have a couple little shoots popping out too!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back