omg

NEWBUTNOTDUMB69

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok will his kil him i hope not i bought a thermometer from walmart last night and put it in my 29gal my oscar ate the bottom half of it i know this because he had the evidence on his chin this morning will this harm him or what -_- :( :( :( :/ :/

what type of thermometer? if its the sticker kind, those go on the outside. If its the old ones with mercury in them, then he will most likely die, but if he doesn't, do high amounts of water changes to get rid of any residue. try feeding him freeze dried food as this acts like a laxative.

Mercury thermometers don't use mercury anymore. Don't actually know if it will kill the fish though. :lol: Oscars are funny. Good luck, I hope it makes it!

crazy fish :p
hope he is okay. keep us posted!

will have to remember this when we set up our oscar tank next year.............. :lol:

I don't think they sell mercury thermometers in the US anymore. If it had a red liquid inside then it was probably alcohol based, and the pellets were probably lead to keep that end down if you were to let it just float instead of suctioning it to the side.

Did he break the glass on the thermometer?

Hope he is ok!!!

Philip

Hi NEWBUTNOTDUMB69 :)

I've heard of aggressive fish such as oscars breaking glass heaters, too. :eek:

They make plastic cages to keep this from happening. It might be a good idea to get one as a preventative measure. :thumbs:

it was a glass thermometer one u sucktion to the sideand yes he broke the glass at the bottom where the lead pellets were but he seems to be doin fine right now i have my 55gal cycling and this will be his new homeill get some pics

Wow thats crazy! You'd better watch out sticking your fingers in there!! :eek:

Just for future reference, I suggest getting a sticker thermometer in the future. I heard the glass ones can give fish indigestion! :lol: In all seriousness though, I hope that he does well, glass obviously is bad for any animals digestion. Keep an eye on him and maybe you should get him a toy because I heard that oscars can be very destructive when they are bored.

guppymonkey said:
Keep an eye on him and maybe you should get him a toy because I heard that oscars can be very destructive when they are bored.
huh? a toy for your fish? and what would you suggest? maybe a little oscar sized tug of war toy? or oscar sized basketball on a rope? :kira: (destructive when bored, sounds like my dog)

Toys would be a great idea for your cichlids. I use a ping pong ball. I let it float on top and I've had fish that would bounce the ball all over the place. It got too risky tho after a while because they would be at the bottom of the tank, then fly up to hit it and they'd slam into the glass top too hard. :crazy:
So I put a slit in it and put a few pieces of gravel in it and let it sink. They'll sometimes spend hours moving it around and even "stalk" it from the weeds. I had a midas that would hide in the weeds and stare at it then suddenly burst out at it and slam it around. Guess he thought the ball would move or something if he left it alone and spied on it. :dunno:

Mirrors are another thing I use to keep them active.

Most reactions

Back