OliveFish05’s double tank journal and builds (20 gallon tropical community and 40 gallon axolotl tank)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I got my hobbit hole painted… I feel like it looks a little tacky. The windows are so blue and I feel like the base of the house is too…. something. I can’t quite place it.
I think it looks amazing, and that little pop of colour when it’s in the water and surrounded by all the other ‘landscaping’ will look amazing 😀😍

You should make the hobbit's house but leave the door and windows open so water and fish can get in.

I think it looks amazing, and that little pop of colour when it’s in the water and surrounded by all the other ‘landscaping’ will look amazing 😀😍
Thank you!!! I hope so.
You should make the hobbit's house but leave the door and windows open so water and fish can get in.
I have a big flower pot I am going to bury in the hillside with an opening on the other side of the hill for the fish to hide in. I suppose I could cut the windows out, but now that it has hardened it would be harder

Got my little shelf for the 20 gallon put together. I just have to go cut a 2x8 into a smaller strip to fill a gap. The pine smell is all over my bedroom now though. It is 2x8s instead of a sheet of plywood, and I have some 3/4 inch styrofoam.
22929D76-C6AD-457E-8A2B-F8E0EDE7DDA4.jpeg

Getting the hobbit hole all sealed. I decided to use epoxy resin instead of the silicone. I coated one side, will let it dry for an hour, coat the other side, then let it cure for 24 hours before putting it in the tank. It is such a thin coat I think it should be enough time. My plants are coming tomorrow! That last little gourami is hanging there, he is so cute patrolling the tank. Through talking to other members I think the other 4 died from the ph shock. They were small and skinny. I don't think they were very healthy to begin with unfortunately. I plan to get more and quarantine them, doing a slower transition to the ph of my water.

My plan

Today -
clean up the 55 gallon tank to sell it
cut that piece of wood to finish the shelf for the 20 gallon
Finish making the decor for the 20 gallon
Get together the equipment for the 55 and the 10 gal quarantine

Tomorrow -
Move 20 gallon to shelf under 40 gallon
Put quarantine tank where my 20 gallon was
Scape, plant, put together the final scape for the 20 gallon

Welp. I didn’t get anything done today lol. Between school, chores, and cleaning the horse pasture (two horses poop a LOT) I didn’t have time to do the tank stuff. I did get very distracted and waste a lot of time today though too. I plan to get it all done tomorrow. The biggest thing today was getting the hobbit hole sealed, so it’s fine.

My plants came the other day! I am so impressed with how big and healthy they are. My sword plants came really rough though. I was going to get a return for them but but then waited too long
4DA08351-733F-4AC0-946D-17529820BEEC.jpeg
0F717C99-4CB6-4C9B-99D1-51B840591889.jpeg
A5DB6676-1ECA-44C0-8F8A-3C85509AA6C4.jpeg
6E983D9B-CED4-4596-8EB3-D8A28B98E99E.jpeg

My little Java fern tree turned out a bit bare. It looks nice there, but rough in the tank…
53D3B88C-9DB6-452C-9D1D-4A2ECC836C8A.jpeg

I also got 4 honey gourami to replace the ones that died. I had to take a water sample, and thankfully it was one of the really friendly, educated girls who helped me. She tests the water, goes “your ph is 7.2. That is very high. Well not high, but neutral.” So I go “I am a member on a fish keeping forum, and talked to several very experienced members. They told me to ask what the ph of your tank is, so I could avoid ph shock” she goes and tests the water. Ph of 7.4! The same as mine last time, before I added almond leaves and a new piece of driftwood. These new ones are SO much bigger and healthier looking. They are nice and colorful, active too. Ate as soon as I got them home. The originals did not. I had to introduce them to the main tank as my quarantine tank has koi in it! In addition one of the dogs chewed up my extra heater so I had nothing to heat the tank with. I figured it was the best choice, as much as I hate it. Will update with photos in a little bit!

Yeah, but not an iota as cool as your tree idea. YourFishStuff has a Java called Thor’s Hammer which would make a cute tree too.
what kind of wood did you use?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back