Can I get a 4th axolotl? 40 gallon tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi. I have 3 axolotls in a densely planted, stable, doing great 40 gallon tank that measures 36x18x16 Inches. I do 50-75% water changes ever two weeks. My axolotls right now are about 5 inches and eat pellets. Could I add a fourth? I found one from the breeder my other three are from that I just love. As I find out if they are males or females I will be re distributing them, but while they are young would this work to have 4?

It’s too soon to know for sure, I am thinking the three I have now are 2 females and a male. If that’s the case, I plan to rehome the male to a new tank.

I have my eye on a 4 inch high iridophore rose gold albino...

I may or may not have just bought it...
1E92971B-C56C-4FB9-98D1-F32A5E069801.png

This place is where I got my other 3. They have incredible prices, free shipping, and gorgeous axolotls. The breeder lists their hets too. If you notice, this one has “all hets”. I think she/it/he/they looks like a grapefruit. It’s a rose golden albino, so it’ll look like it’s just somewhere between a Lucy and a golden albino, which I love.

Last edited:
For reference, here are all of their listings beside eachother. I can’t believe they were ever so little! I might make a before and after journal.
77ADEFE3-5EBC-49A2-92E6-988AC8D18C18.png
D11E9330-81DA-4CBD-A1B6-DD845671CD77.png
B11C47D7-E82E-4F7B-B27D-F9F906D26531.png
ABE1C13F-7CE7-401D-A89C-2B63A6257D70.png

So have you bought the golden albino yet?
Any plans on breeding the axolotls?
Yes, the first three are the ones I a
ready have, the last one is the one I bought today. It ships all the way from New Hampshire

I don’t really plan on breeding them, but picked ones that give me the option to if I wanted.

ready have, the last one is the one I bought today. It ships all the way from New Hampshire
Are you going to breed them? I could predict offspring because I know a little about alleles...
So now you'll have 2 golden axolotls and 2 lucys!
How much axolotls do you think would fit in a 123 litre?

Are you going to breed them? I could predict offspring because I know a little about alleles...
So now you'll have 2 golden axolotls and 2 lucys!
How much axolotls do you think would fit in a 123 litre?
Yep! I’ll have a Lucy, a bluegill lucy, a golden albino, and a rose gold Albino! I don’t really PLANon breeding them, but I chose ones that would produce nice colors if I were to change my mind. Depending on which are males and which are females, and all. I am definitely more inclined to let them breed every so often (I think most breeders recommend no more than twice a year) and sell the eggs rather than raise the babies myself

Warning if you're breathing just remember they can lay up to a thousand and One eggs at a time

I don’t really plan on breeding them, but picked ones that give me the option to if I wanted.

It's not a good idea to get a fourth if it's in the same tank trust me I've done a lot a lot of research but maybe you can get a new tank

It's not a good idea to get a fourth if it's in the same tank trust me I've done a lot a lot of research but maybe you can get a new tank
Thanks for your input, what is the reasoning behind this? Everything I have found seems to suggest that 3-4 can do ok in a 40 gallon. I plan to move things around once I know if they are males or females and such. Later this year I might be able to upgrade them to a 75 to give them more floor space, but I am not sure.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back