Old nubee. Looking to start a new tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Paul192

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at starting a new tank to get me into fishkeeping again, I used to keep fish in the 80's so a lot has changed since then I can say.
I'm looking at starting a 20 - 40 gal tank but havent decide weather to go Marine or planted freshwater yet.
Anyway I'm just saying hello for now while I do some research as to what tank to go for,
Any suggestion would be much appreciated for both marine and freshwater.

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum! One thing to think of when seeing the big range of tanks and equipment now is that bigger tanks are always easier to maintain and better for your fish - lots of nano tanks that can work in specific circumstances but still a good idea to go as big as you can.

In terms of salt water vs fresh water, usually salt water is much more expensive to set up and with ongoing costs, marine fish and corals are more expensive too. I think both sides can be as simple or complicated as you want but marine is a bit more challenging.

Just my two pence:)
Wills

:)
Welcome to the forums and back to the hobby!

I agree with Wills - if you have space for a 40 gallon, then go for a 40 gallon. You'll have so many more options when it comes to fish, and if you go for a 20, I think within six months to a year, you'll decide you want to upgrade and go bigger anyway. Limited space/budget meant I got a 15 gallon, then for fish multiplying reasons needed to get another 15 gallon, etc. Wish I'd sucked it up and kept hunting for a decent second hand 30-40 gallon from the beginning instead!

There are some useful threads here about ways to save money when setting up a tank too, like buying much cheaper play or pool filter sand for substrate rather than aquarium gravel or sand, that are worth checking out :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

I would personally go with freshwater first, as it tends to be cheaper and easier. Bigger tanks are easier to keep in-cycle, so I suggest getting the 40g tank.

If you do not remember, or do not know how to properly cycle a tank, read up here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Planted freshwater tanks are my personal favorite, and I can give you a list of easy-to-grow plants if you like.

Tag me if you ever need help with bettas or live plants. Hope to see you around the forum! :fish:

Welcome! Personally id do fresh water, its less expensive. Personally i avoid salt water because many of the fish are wild caught instead of bred. Good luck with water ever you choose!

Welcome. How’s the Cameron’s tasting? Is Jackson’s still open?
Id go freshwater myself. Your water up there is great.

Hay guys thanks for the welcome from so many. Well it turns out my better half wasn't so keen to give up what space we have left in the house so I've had to downsize my plans for a tank. So I got myself a 30cm nano cube, and I've been so into it forgot all about joining the forum lol. It all planted up and cycled now and I've started adding a couple of livestock over the past week or two. I'll try post a pic when i get a decent photo.
Again thanks for the worm welcome.
P_20200830_161011.jpg

First week

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back