Ok To Use Cold Water With Water Change?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stackem evs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are there any issues with using cold water into the tank when doing a water change? If a 30 - 40% water change then thats going to make a big change in the temperature.

I am quite new around here and to the fish-keeping game. From advice I have caught from other people it is best to try and match the temperatures, with either a thermometer, or if one isn't available using just your hand to get the best guess.

yea, i use a little cooking thermometer. works great i think its for turkeys or something but you just match it up to your tank temp :good:

At 20% and under you can just throw it in wthout a worry. The temporary slight drop in temp will benefit a number of fish and can even induce spawning.

30-40% changes you should keep an eye the first few times. I have no problems with 40% changes (my usual change) and piping water in throughout winter. If you have a smaller tank and are dumping all the water in in one go then it may go down a little more.

Most large tankowners link a hose to the cold tap and run the water straight in, even those that have rays.

I add warm water, matched to tank temperature simply by touch. But to get the warm water I use freshy boiled drinking tap water to cold drinking tap water. I do not take warm/hot water from the tap, cos I worry about nasty chemicals in that water system.

Irf.

At 20% and under you can just throw it in wthout a worry. The temporary slight drop in temp will benefit a number of fish and can even induce spawning.

30-40% changes you should keep an eye the first few times. I have no problems with 40% changes (my usual change) and piping water in throughout winter. If you have a smaller tank and are dumping all the water in in one go then it may go down a little more.

Most large tankowners link a hose to the cold tap and run the water straight in, even those that have rays.

This is what I go for too. Around 20% just cold water. Over that I try and match it to original tank temp.

Put your water (dechlorinated of course) in a vessel and put it in the airing cupboard the day before water change :kana:

I match the temp of the tank just using hot n cold from the taps. I use the thermometer from the tank ( a proper one not the stick on film type) to make sure. Works for me and doesnt take long.

i've done up to 50% changes with cold water without any problems, however i'll keep the heater on (making sure it's submerged) and it's on the big tanks so it goes straight in through a hose from the tap so you can just set it running fairly slowly and leave it for a while.

Put your water (dechlorinated of course) in a vessel and put it in the airing cupboard the day before water change :kana:

What a great idea.....but you obviously have a much bigger airing cupboard than me. Or one that is not quite so stuffed with clutter LOL.
Note to self - go sort that lot out. :lol:

i've done up to 50% changes with cold water without any problems, however i'll keep the heater on (making sure it's submerged) and it's on the big tanks so it goes straight in through a hose from the tap so you can just set it running fairly slowly and leave it for a while.

So does that mean it isn't dechlorinated? Or do you do something clever with it?
(please humour me - I know nothing :lol: )

What a great idea.....but you obviously have a much bigger airing cupboard than me. Or one that is not quite so stuffed with clutter LOL.
Note to self - go sort that lot out. :lol:

So does that mean it isn't dechlorinated? Or do you do something clever with it?
(please humour me - I know nothing :lol: )

put the dechlor straight into the tank.

there's a lot of debate about how essential dechlor actually is in a mature aquarium. Before I knew any better I kept a community tank in un-dechlorinated water for nearly 3 years, didn't seem to have any problems relating to it. So while I do use it now, I'm not convinced how essential it is and I certainly don't worry myself if the dechlor's not mixed in with the water first :)

in my ray tank the temp drops from 82 to 76 when i do a 30% water change
in the wild fish will be effected by slight natural temperature fluctuations

Miss Wiggle...... :unsure: u kept a tank with no water conditioner??? is that correct???!

Is that ok???

i do my temp by feel, i was told by the lfs not to do straight cold water as of the bacteria and fish!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back