Oi, Is My Kissing Gourami Really A Kissing Gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishyluvr

Reaction score
WOW,I got some kissing gouramis from a friend and she told me they were kissers. But I did more research and saw that they look a tiny bit different my gourami's eyes are places more near the top of their head . They are supposed to have a labyrinth organ, but mine never go up for air but they breathe through their big gills. They never have kissy lips and they look more like mini giant gouramis. Note: they are not the ones in my avatar.
So please help me
~fishyluvr

ahh yes but I'm a newb and I don't know how to post a picture i took from a camera i just know how to post "offsite" pictures by using the "insert picture" button so can I have some help on that?

lurke the site, theres instructions somewheres on it.. i dont know myself:p try the newbie or welcome forums maybe, i think its pinned. sorry

They appear to be Pink Convicts.

Cichlid-ConvictPink.gif

They've bred a Pink Convict? D:

Of all imaginable species of fish. A. Pink. Convict. The horror.

...or perhaps Gold Severum.

severum3.jpg

[Edit] Nah, I'm sticking with Pink Convict... :lol:

But whats weird is that my smallest one turns orange off and on from time to time when the other ones stay cream colored. Whats happening there? oh and how big do pink convicts and gold severums get? because mine are about 4 inches now.Yet my smallest one looks more like a gold severum as in the picture with all of the fish and all of them have red tipped teeth. .... could it be? [edit] Pink convicts....LOL

A lot of cichlids can change color. Some of them can change very rapidly between different shades or patterns. With some fish, what happens is the dominant fish will show full color most of the time, and weaker fish will be more subdued, which may be why one is staying cream and the other is changing.

For size, serums get around 8" and convicts around 6". If they're 4" already, I'd have expected death by now if they were convicts.

After having another look at them, I'm thinking that the smallest one is a Gold Severum. The others, I still say Convicts...could be wrong. Convicts DO have red tipped teeth. Severum teeth are not nearly as visible. Here's a pic of Convict teeth:

685px-Male_Convict_Cichlid.jpg

SO um i put in some neon tetras and scissortail rasboras in there before I knew pink convicts were extremely aggressive they have had no history of eating them except the smallest slowest of the neon tetras, and the sick neon. I woke up to see that my smallest neon was GONE! I thought it was caught in the filter but i turned the filter off and no neon! I suppose it got eaten. I am shocked. But they don't seem to be EXTREMELY aggressive as what I saw in the profile. This is what someone said in a comment"These fish are the most aggressive fish I have ever had. (And I have been in the hobby for about 20 years now!!!) They mix well with oscars, Jacks,plecos, pictus cats, and sometimes firemouths. You must be very careful when selecting tank mates. Kribensis and convicts in my experience are very aggressive towards each other. My Male convict is 7 inches and the female about 4 or 5 inches. They hold there own, and will defend there broods (fry), against ANYTHING ELSE IN THE TANK!!!! I have four 13 inch oscars in my 220 gallon tank and two huge 15 inch plecos And a huge batch of kribensis. And the convicts when defending their fry will attack my 13 inch oscars when getting to close and win the fight!!! A truly amazing fish that is basically a true hand full./ I bought two small convicts a while back and had them with my oscars and the convicts where breeding already at like only 2 inches and one of my oscars got to close and the little 2 inch convict went up against my 13 inch oscar and the oscar got annoyed and swallowed the convict whole!!! It was pretty funny. So I had to raise the convicts I currently have in the 220 in a 75 gallon tank to get them big enough to go in with the massive oscars. All in all a great fish just make sure to give them lots of space, good filtration, good food, and good tank mates. Never put convicts in a community tank, I don't care if its 10000 gallons, the convicts will kill the other fish in the community tank. " I made a big mistake putting neons,scissortails,mollies,glolight tetras, and zebra danios in there didn't I?

I don't think they are pink convicts, simply because you still have living fish with them. For their size, regardless of what they are, they might eat neons, glowlights, maybe zebra danios, even if they're not aggressive, the little fish just fit in their mouth, meaning they're potential food.

Particularly with more than one - unpaired convicts will likely kill each other, and paried convicts will likely kill everything around them (They're indiscriminate about mates, and will breed while they're still quite small).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back