Oh Dear Not Good

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nauplii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a problem.

When i first started fish keeping, and was quite ignorant of how to keep fish getting whitespot, i had to deal with the disease all the time.
But as i got better the problem only seemed to occur due to the stubborness of the white spot.

So i changed my tank with the gravel, and i have been whitespot free for over one and a half years now.

In my tank i have 3 Clown Loaches, now lately i have been witnessing some strange behaviour from them, so i decided to treat with Melafix for a few days because there was nothing visibly wrong with them.

I have just looked at them, and as i suspected they have the first stages of white spot.
This is very bad news because i know how suseptable they are to white spot.

I have just treated with Esha Exit, which i have confirmed to be really good in treating this.

However i have a few questions:

1. Is there anything else i can do to battle this problem?

2. Does this possibly mean that i may need to change the gravel again in order to get rid of it?

3. I don't understand how they could have gotten this. I haven't had any recently added new fish, or stressful events, and i have kept up with waterchanges and feeding. Any ideas?

Any help Greatfully Recieved.

Thanks

Vixen

usually medicating the tank for a period recommended on the bottle should kill the disease and the gravel possible doesn't need to be changed... Also any new additions, changes in water conditions, new food, water conditioner any other fish in the tank who could be bullying them?

if they keep getting it it could simply be bad stock. if they are weak fish in the first place they may continue to get diseases regardless of perfect water conditions.

not saying you should rest on your laurels and just assume everything is OK. you should still double check everything. However it does happen occasionally

I have had only one addition which was a female Dwarf Sichlid, which is perfectly healthy, and so were her prevoius tank mates (I made sure lol), em they definately do not get bullied, their around 6" and nothing picks on them. I have not used any new products, and no new types of food either.

Hey, em i have ahad my Clown loaches since i switched over to my new aquarium, and they have never had whitespot before, so i doubt it is because of the quality of them, they are otherwise in very good health, im just trying to find out where this came from.

Em, i don't think so, my filter pads are black, but they are not carbon ones no.

I changed one of my filter pads 2 weeks ago, because it needed doing.
I have a large Powerhead with 2 sponges, which one i changed, and i also have an Eheim aquaball running in it too.

Hi Foxey ;)

Slowly raise the temp in the tank to 84F and keep it there. Do regular gravel vacs to remove the tomites from the bottom of the tank and keep medicating for the full course. If the spots are still visible after that time, keep treating until they have gone for 3 or 4 days.

Whitespot doesn't linger in the tank despite popular myths, I think it was Andywg that posted a long and detailed post about this very subject if you want to search for it, so don't waste your time changing the gravel.

Arfie

Ok thanks Arfie, done the temp thing now, and one question... If i do a gravel vac, that means changing some of the water too... which wouldnt be good since i just medicated, or should i do this after a few days?

Em, i don't think so, my filter pads are black, but they are not carbon ones no.

I changed one of my filter pads 2 weeks ago, because it needed doing.
I have a large Powerhead with 2 sponges, which one i changed, and i also have an Eheim aquaball running in it too.

that could be the problem, could have kicked off a mini cycle by changing too much media

have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? the cycle may now be finished so if you test now and get 0 ammonia and nitrite don't discount it as a possible cause.

it's amazing how little disruption to your media can kick off a mini cycle.

sometimes just a slightly too vigorous clean can cause it.

well that's all fine, but a mini cycle can easily be done in 2 weeks, so it's still possible that's whats happened.

however if your water quality is perfect now then don't worry about what's caused it. just focus on treating then keep on top of maintenance from then on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back