Office Space

My biggest shoal is my glow light tetras at 14, I do not plan to add to the shoal by buying more but hope that they also will have some more fry show up. I lost my 2 glow light fry:( and the 3rd fry turned out to be a red eyed tetra which survived.

I love the size of this tank. You know me and big groups of shoaling fish ;). My first thought was around 40 but I have decided to keep this tank lightly stocked. At least that's what I tell myself :rofl:. I have wanted nannostomus eques for a while (that's hockeystick pencilfish @Deanasue ) - nobody locally has stock at the moment, but who knows what the future may bring.
Show off! Lol! :rofl:

My biggest shoal is my glow light tetras at 14, I do not plan to add to the shoal by buying more but hope that they also will have some more fry show up. I lost my 2 glow light fry:( and the 3rd fry turned out to be a red eyed tetra which survived.
Ha - while I was on the apisto supplier's site I couldn't help noticing that they have tiny cardinals (<1cm) at 99p each. And since my group of 30 has recently dwindled to 28, and since I already have to pay the flat rate for shipping ... well it would be downright rude not to :whistle:

20 hyphessobrycon amandae now installed. I have spent the last 5 hours being distracted by them settling in. Ignoring the stress of being moved from LFS this morning its as close to a natural environment as I can give them right now. The plants need to grow more but with the lights off and the stained water they appear remarkably relaxed when viewed by ambient light only. These are tiny (definitely juves) and less than half the length of my adult CPD. SF cites them as inhabiting the mid to upper areas of the tank while other sources say mid to lower. My observations so far suggest the other sources are correct, although they do occasionally venture into the upper half. I think pencilfish would make very good tankmates indeed.

And when I say they I mean all 20 of them. Their behaviour is definitely more schooling than shoaling. Occasionally they split into 2 large groups but then come back together very quickly. I have never seen a single fish or a small group break away as my other tetras do. @Retired Viking you absolutely need more! :) They are quite active and not at all timid or shy. I have not fed them yet but they certainly look like they are expecting to be fed when I dip a finger in the water. I can certainly see why so many sources suggest they are highly under-rated. Udpdate on the schooling: I just spotted one that allowed himself to get isolated from the group, he looked to be in a state of total panic for about 15 seconds before he spotted the group and rejoined them.

Just in case you hadn't noticed I am completely charmed by these little guys (and gals). I will definitely be increasing the group size once I am satisfied the tank can support them. In fact I have decided to defer the apistos for at least a few weeks (perhaps months) and enjoy watching the gang grow up in a species only tank. IMO the school (and by all accounts they stay that way) is a centrepiece all on its own.

Oh no: what of it turns into another SA community with tetras, corys and pencilfish? But at least I know what I like ;)
Only 20 minutes till lights on :kana:

Last edited:
I love journals like this. I would love to see an updated picture! :good:
Or a video, they sound so cool.:fish:
Give it a few days to look presentable ;)
Don't believe the plants have grown enough yet to cope with 20 fish. So I crammed the matrix which has been sitting in the nano for about a month (chose that tank cos its the only one with a neutral pH - so best chance of functioning bacteria). Also floated a few bits of sponge I had lying in there.

Then I remembered that filter may not actually be cycled cos it has so many plants:eek:. So I deployed the big guns and there is now frogbit everywhere. This is NOT planned to be a frogbitted tank. Ammonia is low risk because with the low pH (<6) it will be ammonium. But it still needs to be dealt with before the filter starts turning it into nitrite.

Did you see the Agassizs fire reds on The Trop co by anychance?? I dont know how my will power survived when i saw them :wub:

Did you see the Agassizs fire reds on The Trop co by anychance?? I dont know how my will power survived when i saw them :wub:
Yes they were. I know its stock images but they looked really good.

Yes they were. I know its stock images but they looked really good.
They are beauties:wub:

How are your Cardinals in your big tank? Do they group up on show or are they trimmed

I am soooo jealous, they looked great :yahoo: :hyper::shout:. I had to remove my anacharis from my sunken forest tank and replaced it with some salvinia. Wish I could get them to ship me some frog bite. I have been increasing the RO water% in the tank and hope to see some fry. I did my weekly water change today. Those RO jugs are heavy but after seeing your ember tetra it is worth it. :kana:

How are your Cardinals in your big tank? Do they group up on show or are they trimmed
No they don't shoal much. They will hang around in groups of 5-10 but only all come together if something frightens them - usually the cat landing on the tank hood :angel:

Coolest thing is when they sleep. I have tried to get a pic but its impossible without a flash. They like to sleep head down (often almost vertically) and amongst the vegetation. Some have started using the new crypts and it looks like a row of trees with coloured lights. But when 20+ are in the same section of hygrophila in the back left corner it looks like a massive decorated Christmas tree - absolutely stunning.

No they don't shoal much. They will hang around in groups of 5-10 but only all come together if something frightens them - usually the cat landing on the tank hood :angel:

Coolest thing is when they sleep. I have tried to get a pic but its impossible without a flash. They like to sleep head down (often almost vertically) and amongst the vegetation. Some have started using the new crypts and it looks like a row of trees with coloured lights. But when 20+ are in the same section of hygrophila in the back left corner it looks like a massive decorated Christmas tree - absolutely stunning.
My embers like to sleep in a group in the anacharis forest mostly facing toward the center of the tank. It will be interesting to see what they will do since I removed the anacharis. Right now all the fish are actively swimming around the tank since the water change.

Most reactions

Back