Oddball For A Betta Sorority

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snooks1!

Fish Addict
Reaction score
After having my hopes of getting a Apteronotus Albifrons crushed ( no room yet for a 100+gal tank for one that's fully grown ) I figured I would get an oddball or two for my female betta sorority.

The tank is 10gal, and when fully stocked will have 5-6 female bettas and a gaggle of otos. What would be some good oddballs to go in my tank?

Seems to me that your 10 gallon tank would be pretty well stock as it is. Might want to consider a large tank if you are considering adding fish.

some bumblebee gobies?

If you can find the freshwater ones, which to my understanding are seldom seen in the trade, that might work. I think even the freshwater ones prefer brackish, but tolerate hard, alkaline water.

a few shrimp or african dwarf frogs are probs your best options

some bumblebee gobies?

If you can find the freshwater ones, which to my understanding are seldom seen in the trade, that might work. I think even the freshwater ones prefer brackish, but tolerate hard, alkaline water.

Not totally true, there are a specific freshwater species of Bumblebee Goby, but as you say they are rarely found in the shops. The ones that are there though dont seem to care if they are brackish or fresh.

Peacock Goby
White cheeked goby
Bumblebee goby
Khuli loach

i think they are your only options

Peacock Goby
White cheeked goby
Bumblebee goby
Khuli loach

i think they are your only options

Khuli loaches would be good... But I've heard they need to be kept in groups of 4+ , would I be able to keep that many in the tank?

i'd personally say kuhlis need more than 10G

if there are enough hiding spaces, i would happily keep 4 in a 10gal tank, if i kept up with water changes and had good filtration. :good:

I do a 50% water change every Friday as a regular schedule, and 25% changes between my weekly big ones if levels aren't right.

So..Would I be able to keep a few? Or should I not even bother?

The tank is really too small to be adding any more fish into it. The only thing I would suggest adding would be different types of shrimp species. There are plenty to choose from and they add barely any bioload to an aquarium.

You have to also consider the temperament of the bettas. While they're not as aggressive as the male bettas, they can be a bit nippy to other fish (as well as themselves!).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back