Odd shaped Serpae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I obtained two serpae tetras recently, and from the top they look really weird shaped. Their body is sorta bent near the middle and I was wondering if it was caused by a sickness or something.

(Ignore the Catfish)

Attachments

• 1567871039492553681443649856844.jpg
    1567871039492553681443649856844.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 110
For years I had a “bent” boesmani rainbow that I had purchased from a big box pet store. The bigger it got, the more pronounced it’s curved spine became. Only figured out why when I bred 300 angels. There were misshapen angels that I had to cull. My bent boesmani lived 8 years and was my special fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would worry less about the bent spine than some other things here.

I just answered your question about the two cory catfish in your other thread, explaining how you must get more of them. Same applies to these two Serpae Tetra, but here you have another problem. This is a nasty fish, and prone to becoming even worse. They need a group of 10-12 in a 30 gallon tank as minimum. I would suggest you return the two Serpae quickly before they settle in and start showing their true nature, which will be even worse because there are only two of them. They could take it out on your cory catfish.

I would worry less about the bent spine than some other things here.

I just answered your question about the two cory catfish in your other thread, explaining how you must get more of them. Same applies to these two Serpae Tetra, but here you have another problem. This is a nasty fish, and prone to becoming even worse. They need a group of 10-12 in a 30 gallon tank as minimum. I would suggest you return the two Serpae quickly before they settle in and start showing their true nature, which will be even worse because there are only two of them. They could take it out on your cory catfish.

Ah, don't worry, I got a school of them, I just moved these two since they had a weird curve

It just looks like a genetic defect and nothing to worry about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back