Oasis - Manchester

8inary

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
550
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just planning a trip to Oasis in Manchester 'Blackfriars Road' - just wondering if anyone has been there and whether
its any good in regard tropical fish/odd balls etc
 
this is my local actually I was in there yesterday personally I think its the best fish shop I've ever been in a bit exspensive but there quailty is superb there not that big but there fully stocked they have a few oddballs in at the min but they differnt stock in every week its worth a trip regards m8 I think there the best

Sorry for the typing on my phone lol
 
I agree with above. I live in Stockport and between Oasis and Maidenhead there aren't many other places I go to really.

@mr white are there three floors in oasis I have only ever known of the two but looking at their website they mention 3!
 
I agree with above. I live in Stockport and between Oasis and Maidenhead there aren't many other places I go to really.

@mr white are there three floors in oasis I have only ever known of the two but looking at their website they mention 3!
there's only 2 I think they class the small room with the live rock in ECT another level lol
 
I agree with above. I live in Stockport and between Oasis and Maidenhead there aren't many other places I go to really.

@mr white are there three floors in oasis I have only ever known of the two but looking at their website they mention 3!
there's only 2 I think they class the small room with the live rock in ECT another level lol

Ah ok, just thought I had been missing out lol!
 
well to be honest, i live in the high peak 'chapel en le frith' so manchester is some way away - i was planning a trip there as i will be in manchester in the next couple of weeks, and fancied a look at some other fishshop.

Keenonfish - i often went to the abyss pretty much every other week, however, since their move and new set up - ive found their prices to be well, very expensive compared to others ive seen, i went in last week and found that they are still mad prices, and decided i will not bother with them anymore - sad really as they were 'once' good, and i have over the years, spent thousands with them - even had them make my custom tank.

there are two more i know of near stockport - one is in hazel grove near golf discount which is smallish, but sometimes has lovely fish in at a very good price, last week i bought a red spotted severum which is circa 3" or just above for £13 - one at the abyss was smaller at circa 1.5/2" for £22 'see what i mean'.

the only other one i know is in poynton, not the nursery centre as they only ever have a small range of small fish, its the one near the airdrome - thats a maidenhead one, havent been for ages though.
 
well to be honest, i live in the high peak 'chapel en le frith' so manchester is some way away - i was planning a trip there as i will be in manchester in the next couple of weeks, and fancied a look at some other fishshop.

Keenonfish - i often went to the abyss pretty much every other week, however, since their move and new set up - ive found their prices to be well, very expensive compared to others ive seen, i went in last week and found that they are still mad prices, and decided i will not bother with them anymore - sad really as they were 'once' good, and i have over the years, spent thousands with them - even had them make my custom tank.

there are two more i know of near stockport - one is in hazel grove near golf discount which is smallish, but sometimes has lovely fish in at a very good price, last week i bought a red spotted severum which is circa 3" or just above for £13 - one at the abyss was smaller at circa 1.5/2" for £22 'see what i mean'.

the only other one i know is in poynton, not the nursery centre as they only ever have a small range of small fish, its the one near the airdrome - thats a maidenhead one, havent been for ages though.

I agree with you there on the abyss' prices! they do seem a little over the top...

I regularly use the one in hazel grove [as i live there aswell lol] its called seaview aquatics, lovely range of fish at good prices =]

Im going to check out the wilmslow aquatics store soon to see if that is any good :good:
 
im still miffed at the abyss as to the path they have chosen, as i said, i have spent thousands with them, but now, they have a plush new set up and it clearly must have cost a lot as they have pumped up the prices, ive been in twice since and walked out in disgust re their pricing. my friends and i will not be going there again.

seaview 'that is the name' will be one ill pop into as they do get a few nice ones in from time to time, well worth a look.

the maidenhead one in ..well, its over in poynton at a garden centre near the airdrome thing - ive been once, i dont think its too bad to be honest, but then again, i think most will beat what the abyss has to offer IMO
 
well to be honest, i live in the high peak 'chapel en le frith' so manchester is some way away - i was planning a trip there as i will be in manchester in the next couple of weeks, and fancied a look at some other fishshop.

Keenonfish - i often went to the abyss pretty much every other week, however, since their move and new set up - ive found their prices to be well, very expensive compared to others ive seen, i went in last week and found that they are still mad prices, and decided i will not bother with them anymore - sad really as they were 'once' good, and i have over the years, spent thousands with them - even had them make my custom tank.

there are two more i know of near stockport - one is in hazel grove near golf discount which is smallish, but sometimes has lovely fish in at a very good price, last week i bought a red spotted severum which is circa 3" or just above for £13 - one at the abyss was smaller at circa 1.5/2" for £22 'see what i mean'.

the only other one i know is in poynton, not the nursery centre as they only ever have a small range of small fish, its the one near the airdrome - thats a maidenhead one, havent been for ages though.

I agree with you there on the abyss' prices! they do seem a little over the top...

I regularly use the one in hazel grove [as i live there aswell lol] its called seaview aquatics, lovely range of fish at good prices =]

Im going to check out the wilmslow aquatics store soon to see if that is any good :good:

Maidenhead have some of the healthiest stock I have seen. Very rarely a sick or under the weather fish to be seen...

Ocean view, is that the narrow one on two floors? They have great variety of stock but I am not too sure about the general health it seems last couple of times I have been there are a number of dead fish in more than an acceptable number of tanks :crazy: I may try them again but really they have a black mark from me but I would advise people to check them out!

As for Abyss well they sold me a lonesome cory as an algae eater, they don't think much to fishless cycling, preferring the platy method instead and think ammonia is not worth testing for if ph is low (mine was 7 at the time) :unsure: but yes they have lovely stock but I don't go their for the latter reasons :angry: Shame really I don't mind paying slightly more for good healthy stock!

It is such a shame p@h can't get their act together as they have a great selection of stock - I like to go just for a browse but would never purchase after seeing Danios with fluffy mouths and Neons with saddleback and white spots :rolleyes: Would you believe a big store like that quarantines their fish in a shared bank with healthy specimens for 6 hours before selling to the general public...

So for me it is only Woodford and Oasis that I really trust and take my hat off to. I am going to try that big place in Bolton this weekend and also checkout the fishfarm place in Ashton see what they are like me thinks :good:

wow I just read all that I obviously have very high standards :blush: :crazy:
 
haha no problems having high standards lol

that one in bolton is massive - i went there a couple of years ago, maybe when i can get some cash together, i might plan a trip there
 
haha no problems having high standards lol

that one in bolton is massive - i went there a couple of years ago, maybe when i can get some cash together, i might plan a trip there

Went to BAS today kind of impressed tbh they had some unusual fish I hadn't seen before and everything barring the bettas was healthy and alive :good: . Place needs a new roof I think - I was wading through puddles lol but still an enjoyable visit. Off to the Ashton place Tues then might go back to bolton for another look. Maybe end up in Oasis - Sort of like a ringroad tour of fish shops lol!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top