Nymphaea Species (red water lily)

charlie_fish

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have the nymphaea plant species in their tank? They look really nice shaped leaves and I especially like the red coloured ones. Can anyone give me some advice on how to grow these successfully and what their general requirments are? And how do you prune them successfully to stop them taking over the whole tank?! :unsure:

Charlie :p

I feel bad that I don't know the latin names of the plants that I keep.

I do have 3 kinds of red lillies. I have bulbs of all 3, plus children from 1 of them and a red tiger lilly that I bought without the bulb. I think the red tiger lilly bulb that I have is different than the red tiger lilly plant that I have. I also have a faint red/pink lilly with large arrow-head shaped leaves. On top of thatI have a bulb with longer skinier leaves with varying shades of red.

As far as care... I have them in a ten gallon tank (they're still quite young) with two full spectrum 15w lights above them. I have an iron rich substrated with a thin layer of black sand covering it. And I fertilize with dupla drops, florish, and another supplement. They are doing very well and I have had beautiful color from them. Remember, if you are getting a lighter color or a greenish color, try increasing the light.

I have Nymphaea lotus "tiger water-lily"

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/water_world/kasveista.htm (scroll down, nowadays is totally red/coloured like red wine)

Demands: Like c-f said above. I didn't read the article that was given by StiX.

For N. lotus:
Temperature: 20-30 C
Hardness: soft (-hard)
pH: 5.5-8.0
height: 40-70cm
light: much-very much (I have 4* 36W fluorescent tube)
growth: 1 leaf/week

Leaves that's floating must be cut off so that lower leaves will grow bigger. If the leaves die, you have to put corn in the box, where is 'moist' sand and turf, place it into the refrigerator for 1 month. There must be some holes in the box cover.

Water lilies roots should not be planted as such, rather they should just be laid on the ground and held fast with a rock or clip

Results of the bloom of flowers are beautiful, if you want flowers you must leave at least five of the floating leaves on any single plant. If you are not bothered about flowers, simply nip the leaves off that you don't want :thumbs:

I grow Nymphae Stellata which is red in colour and a very small species. Any leave that shoot for the surface I just cut off at the base with a pair of sharp scissors. I bury the bulbs up to just below the point at which the shoots form in a mixture of Silica lime free gravel (grit sized) and laterite about 2 to 3 inches deep with a substrate heating cable and CO2 fertilisation. Other fertilization consists of Dupla Plant 24 and Dupla Plant tablets.

HTH

the tiger lotus as well as n duebyana are great red plants. There also is the grren one.

Bulb plants should be planted @ a 45 deg angle and only 1/3 in the substrate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back