Nymphaea lotus

CaptainBarnicles8

Moderator 🧐 Resident Pleco Despiser
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Joined
Apr 2, 2021
Messages
3,508
Reaction score
4,141
Points
113
Location
Lincs
I had an accident 😩 I decided to move my lotus to the other end of the tank where there's more light and swap it with a crypt that would do well in the 'shade'...I'm not in the habit of moving plants after I've planted them unless they would benefit which I believed they both would...I trimmed the roots of the lotus and made sure to be very careful replanting it because I know they're very delicate...but obviously I wasn't careful enough because it's tuber came away from the actual plant! Will it survive without it considering it has roots??
 
I've left the tuber in hoping it will sprout something 😬
 

Attachments

  • 20211027_165446.webp
    20211027_165446.webp
    385.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20211027_165609.webp
    20211027_165609.webp
    309.5 KB · Views: 120
I'm going from memory here, a decade or so ago, but I seem to recall that one of my plants (Nymphaea lotus, red cultivar) lost its tuber and remained alive. Tuber or not, this plant will benefit from substrate tab fertilizer, such as Flourish Tabs. If the plant forms floating leaves, leaving these will encourage more and in time the floating red leaves are very effective and beautiful.
 
I'm going from memory here, a decade or so ago, but I seem to recall that one of my plants (Nymphaea lotus, red cultivar) lost its tuber and remained alive. Tuber or not, this plant will benefit from substrate tab fertilizer, such as Flourish Tabs. If the plant forms floating leaves, leaving these will encourage more and in time the floating red leaves are very effective and beautiful.
I'm so relieved to hear that! I'm using Flourish tabs too 👍🏻 thank you
 
I can provide recent experience, i didn't do enough reading when I got my lotus, buried it in the substrate, had 6 leaves above. Read about how it should not be buried, dug it out, got the leaves separated from the bulb. The leaves let down roots, are growing, not that worse for wear, the bulb, now sitting at the substrate, is dripping new leaves. Too bad my snails like to eat them. Will take pictures
 
Bought 6.10, dug out 12.10, picture taken right now
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20211027_192608.webp
    IMG_20211027_192608.webp
    169 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20211027_192602.webp
    IMG_20211027_192602.webp
    306.1 KB · Views: 117
Gosh, meant to say dropping new leaves. Weird sentence i made there
Tomayto tomato, I knew what you meant! I've really grown fond of my lotus, I'm so glad they're not as delicate as presumed! Now I'll have two plants! 🥳
 

Most reactions

Back
Top