nutrafin co2 system?

lisa F

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of the Nutrafin CO2 natural plant system, they are selling them for £10 at my lfs at the moment and I wondered if they are worth getting. I thought once I had used up the sachets that came with it I could go on to using a home-made yeast mixture.

Thanks! lisa

Hi Lisa,

I am using two in my 125 litre. They work really well, my plants have are growing well and my pH has dropped to a more desirable level (6.8 - 7) for my angels, tetras and rams. I haven't tried using other yeast and bicarb yet but I'm sure it will work if the quantities are correct. £10 each is a bargain!!

Thanks! I bought one today and it is bubbling away now. I have a juwel 125litre so do you think I would be best to get another? My tank is only quite new and I have just added the first fish after cycling and have 11 plants in it. The fish have been in a couple weeks and are quite happy- 4 tetras and 3 bronze corys. The water params are all stable. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Lisa

I've also a the Juwel Rio 125!

I would just have the one unit running for a while. The reason for this is that to truely benefit from co2 you will need a few things;

1) Good lighting (the supplied bulbs are ok but you will definitely benefit from adding reflectors). I have recently changed mine to an Arcadia Freshwater Lamp and an Interpet Daylight Plus. The brightness and colour definition are greatly improved.

2) Sufficient nutrients in the substrate and water. I use a laterite mix in my lower level of fine inert gravel and a Rena Cor 25w heater cable. The fish will also provide nutrients in the form of poo (macro-nutrients!! A liquid feed will also provide micro-nutrients. I use Waterlife Tropiflora.

These are the main things you'll need for decent plant growth. For a good article on co2 read this http://www.aquahobby.com/tips/co2.html

Good luck with your tank, I love my Juwel. Here's a link to my latest pic if you're interested.

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=18491

Nice tank! The palnts seem a little bigger already. I will look into reflectors and things but might need to leave the undergravel heating until my funds recover from Christmas!
thanks, lisa

You never know what santa will bring!!

Reflectors cost about £5 to £8 and my heater cable cost £20.

I buy most of my dry-goods from Aquatics Online

Glad to hear your plants are doing well, do you know the species?

George :D

Hi gf225,

I have a Juwel Rio 190l, which will hopefully be stocked with 4 small angels, one kissing gourami, 4 cory's, 6 golden barbs, 5 cardinals, one L001, and 4 ottos and two pairs of dwarf cichlids(not decided which yet). I would like to install the nutrafin CO2, would this be ok, and how many should I have? :D :nod: :nod:

Hi Ryan,

If you have the right conditions to make full use of co2 for plant growth i.e. lighting, substrate etc. (read this link for more info CO2 info) then you will need two or three (hagen recommend one for every 70 litres). You will need to keep an eye on your pH and KH to determine your CO2 level. Anything above 35 mg/l is bad for fish.

gf225 said:
Hi Ryan,

If you have the right conditions to make full use of co2 for plant growth i.e. lighting, substrate etc. (read this link for more info CO2 info) then you will need two or three (hagen recommend one for every 70 litres). You will need to keep an eye on your pH and KH to determine your CO2 level. Anything above 35 mg/l is bad for fish.
:D i hav sand as a substrate which i know is not the best but my plants are doing very well in it, i read the article about the conditions, my plants aren't fertilized but are doing well, could i still add the co2 injector? i do not want to risk my fish, will it harm them? can you suggest what i should do? please

thankyou

it you're on a tight budget, you might wanna do DIY

CO2 DIY!

That link provides many DIY CO2 reactors that seem to be pretty useful. maybe you could find one that suits ur budget and requirements.

Hi gf225,
I know some of the plants that I have, a couple didn't have labels, there is Gymnocoronis, bacopa, limnophila, echinodorus, cryptocoryne, microsorum-java fern and lilaeopsis which I noticed after I got it said it has slow growth and is difficult.

When I bought the nutrafin system it had a freee bottle of liquid feed that I have used and also when I set up the tank I added a few pellets around the original plants that were in- about 5, 1 added 6 more when I bought the system.

How does your heater thing work? Do you lay it under the gravel and is this a big job to do with everything in the tank?

Thanks for the info and I wil check out that site!

Lisa

Hi Ryan.

You can still add CO2 without liquid feed, you will get a free small bottle of Plant-Gro with the Nutrafinfin kit anyway. If your plants are growing well then you will probably benefit from co2. I would buy one nutrafin(or make your own diy) and see what results you get. The relatively small level of co2 given off by one unit will not harm your fish. You can buy pH and KH test kits quite cheap and from these you can work out your co2 level using a table, there are loads on the net. Try this link for one

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Good luck mate :D

Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately you will need to empty your tank from substrate to install a heater cable. I managed to do mine with the fish still in there with a siphon hose and big spoon!! It's a hassle and you may wish to just leave it, I had to do mine because I was getting a bad blue-green slime algae problem. I beleive undergravel heating is best in the long run, especially for long-term plant growth and to prevent anaerobic bacteria building in the gravel/substrate.

All the best.

George :D

gf225 said:
Unfortunately you will need to empty your tank from substrate to install a heater cable.
I think I may try without the heater for the moment but look into new bulbs and reflectors, at present it is the two 18w daylight bulbs that came with the tank. This fish keeping lark is an endless way to keep spending money! :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I'm thinking of using one or more of these nutrafin CO2 units in a new planted setup that I'm planning, so read this thread with interest. Are those of you using it still finding that it's doing the business?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back