NP

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
No time now, but in the future you can get them off amazon. I got 100ct 8" x 16" bags for $10. Cheap enough I've used them just to move fish from QT tank in one room to main tank in the other. Still have 96 left 😂
I can't believe how many people try and move fish in buckets, bags are just so much better for the fish

I can't believe how many people try and move fish in buckets, bags are just so much better for the fish
When I go fishing, sometimes I start by catching live bait (sorry everyone, big fish eat little fish 🤷‍♂️) and put them in a bucket. You can hear them constantly ramming into the sides.

Thanks, I’m on the job. Assuming LFS means local fish store.
Yes, there is one big family owned one in town
Sorry jargon. Yes your Local Fish Shop. They will usually help out all they can, just tell them what you are doing. I used to have a moving kit that I would lend out to anyone who was moving tanks. It had everything that was needed to shift a tank.

Last edited:
Rereading your post again View attachment 142078re transporting system. Not sure what you mean by add an airstone to each bucket. I am using an airstone in my goldfish tank. It requires a pump & electricity. Not sure how I could do that. It’s only a half hour trip. But will take time at home to set up.
I could add airstones then.
See what @Colin_T says as to whether or not you need it, but in a pinch most outdoor sporting goods stores (dicks, field and stream, cabelas, maybe wallyworld) sell "bucket bubblers". Little pumps that come with a hose and airstone on the end that run off 2 D cell batteries. Found in the fishing sections.

I like the bag idea. My concern would be has the current owner been fasting them. If not and they are larger fish, the bags could get toxic pretty quick.
Not in a day, I moved the Full grown Severums over 400km in bags with out loosing a single fish. I also moved all the Silver Dollars the same sort of distance, bagging fish is the best way to transport them by far.

Just be careful, think about how you are going to pack this in your vehicle, and what might happen if you have to stop quickly. My experience tells me that water and fish in buckets in a moving vehicle isn't always a great combination. That is why I use Jerry cans for the water and bag the fish.

You can buy battery powered air pumps, as mentioned by others previously. These can sit in the car and blow bubbles into the buckets of water to help keep the oxygen levels high.

You can buy a power inverter from most auto stores. These plug into a car's cigarette lighter and convert the 12 volt power from the car, into 220-240 volt (whatever your country has) power to run a normal air pump that plugs into a power point in your house. You plug a normal air pump into the power inverter and run some airlines to the buckets of fish.

If you do get portable air pumps, you can drill a small hole in the lid to put the airline in and put a plastic multi-coloured airstone on the other end. Some of the plastic airstones have a small weight in the bottom and are great because they hold the airstone down.

If you don't have the pumps, it isn't a major issue, but fish do travel better with aeration.

Have the buckets of fish about 2/3s full of water.

Keep the buckets of fish in the shade at all times. If the weather is warm, have the car's air-conditioner on so the inside of the car doesn't heat up and cook the fish.

I am looking at what appears to be an appropriate portable air pump now that the local Walmart has. Called Baby Bubbles. Runs on AAA batteries
Something like that but bigger if you can find one. And change the airstone to a plastic multi-coloured type. the blue sand air stone puts a lot of back pressure on the pump and the batteries get used up quicker.

If you can't find the multi-coloured plastic air stones, just tie a small weight to the airline and let it have big bubbles.

Yeah, that's the brand. I have this larger one.
Screenshot_20210826-060536_Samsung Internet.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back