NP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

$9 for a single java fern? that's robbery
edit: i didn't read the title of the listing 😂, still robbery though

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered the mesh screen from Amazon. Liars! Said an hour ago it’d be here tomorrow if ordered within 13 hours & now they say due Saturday. 😹😹😹

off to eBay! Thanks again. 😘
Glad I could help! Ah well thanks alot amazon!

Two only in that aquarium.....get another aquarium for a third Axie.

Methinks there is about to be a severe case of Axie MTS....take things slowly, get the two that you have healthy and settled first before expanding the zoo ;) :)

You can use air driven sponge filters if wished since the flow is directed upwards on one sat on the substrate and ones that stick to the side can be directed into a corner so flow is not going to stress the Axies out

You can get two types of sponge filter...not a HOB filter.....the ones that you sit on the substrate with their air tube that goes straight upwards...or the single/double chamber type that sticks on the side....

Like this....

R.f85ee229460ba5d17fd61b639d411aec.jpg

Sage advice! I searched hi & lo for axies & had to drive to another state, 6 hour roundtrip, for the pinks. So now local axies not easy to resist. But they ain’t going anywhere & she‘ll have more.
I was able to order my leucistic (pink), Kirby, from GillyWater Aquatics. They offer free shipping, great prices, and huge selection. Unlike many breeders, they list every individual axolotl for sale, so you can choose your specific one. Most breeders simply say the color and “you Can choose your color, but due to the number of similar looking axolotls we can not list individuals at this time”. Might be worth checking out, if you wanted different colors! I was able to get Kirby for $60
A0071AFA-8BD3-4DB4-B024-96683E01F531.jpeg
3772837D-0C5F-4FA5-AC82-80F0FCCAF7F3.jpeg
5C593B36-48A1-4222-8A7D-412BE820CC69.png

Gendering is easy once fully grown at around a year old

Earthworms are their staple diet, its part and parcel of keeping them healthy. They have not been fed right hence they are stunted....you have to keep at the worms, gross or not, thats what they should be eating.

Actually the entire website is handy to have as a bookmark....lots of things covered and questions answered....

What concerns me is some saying males & females must be separated or breeding & spawning may compromise her health. Anyone know if this is accurate?
I don’t know if it’s accurate, but many many many reputable sources seem to think it is. @itiwhetu?what do you think?
Lots of people over on the amphibian and salamander forum I am on sell the eggs. I seriously considered buying some, but just don’t have the setup I would need to raise them. Would be a fun project though!

I have never separated males and females. My guys just hang out in their tank together. Years ago when I bred them commercially we had them out side in concrete water troughs. We used to have the troughs fill of water over winter to stop them freezing then as it warmed up, we would lower the water level. Then they would spawn. Make sure they are getting some meat in their diet not just pellets.

Thanks, will check contents of pellets, but thought they contained animal protein like salmon and insects. Is that meat enough? Or do you mean more like a beef heart etc?
People feed fish all sorts of things and swear by what ever they do. All I can say is that the main part of my Axolotl diet has always been Ox heart. That is not saying that all sorts of other things won't work just as well.

Walmart has frozen slices of liver. Is that as nutritious as hearts? What about cooked chicken?
Liver is fine. Freeze it and grate it over a cheese grater, for your little guys as they get bigger they can take bigger pieces. Kidneys work to if you can find them, I usually would use lamb kidney.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back