NP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cut your worms into one inch pieces, use the tweezers when you get them (I used bamboo tweezers). Put the worm piece right infront of the nose.

It sounds like they have been fed freeze dried or frozen only that do not move when offered. Cutting your worms into bitesize pieces will help them get used to having live food...it will take time and patience but you will get there and never worry that they are not eating enough since their metabolism is extremely slow...be persistant and they will eventually realise that what you are offering infront of their snout is food, as they get more confident, longer pieces of worm til full gown whole worms can be tolerated by them

It will take time and patience on your part.

A 20g long will be fine for one Axie.....but not both together. Once their diet is better they will be more active, especially at night. Two unsexed Axies in a 20g long will quickly outgrow the space (swim space and general living/not being grouchy with each other space)

Thanks again. I will persevere. Yes, they were fed only frozen bloodworms by the previous owner. I ordered metal tongs, the only kind that popped up at Amazon. I’ll take another look. I do know some ppl said they use their fingers, as they fear hurting the axies‘ mouths.
They are accepting cichlid pellets. They did not like the turtle pellets.
I couldn’t possibly hand feed with this deep tank. Plans to replace it forming.
Lower the water level to about 6 inches.

Personally I would leave the scaping til the aquarium is replaced...less stress on the animals. When you do it, I would go with natural sand, ie uncoloured.

They are likely stunted due to the poor husbandry by the previous owner, that can be corrected over time and proper nutrition...earthworms, fresh & alive since that is their staple in both the wild and captivity. It will take time to reverse the poor husbandry but it can be achieved.

My boy had an Interpet CF3 filter....waterfall effect from the outlet that was placed just above waterline. The filter is ideal since its not overly powerful (Axies are not keen on fast flow, they originated from two lakes in what is now the suburbs of Mexico City). He was more than happy with the CF3 and being easy to maintain meant that I was able to stay on top of his poo production too. (They make alot of poo)

do you suck up poop with a baster or syphon?
Turkey baster

Their poo should be easy to collect, miniature acorn shaped poo....the baster held over a poo ball will suck it up easily and quickly

Axie poo is a bit like rabbit or chinchilla poo....just smaller and acorn or torpedo shaped

thanks, we’ve ID’d the mystery package on the tank floor!
You'll soo be used to that.....daily bastering around the sand....and if really mischievious they will wait til you have cleaned up after them and promptly drop a few extras.....then smile innocently at you ;)

I tossed out the mounds of plastic & fake jellyfish
I talked to someone on a newt and salamander forum who is in literally the exact same situation as you, and they said they hung the fake jellyfish over their shower head!

Guys! Help! Struggling with lid type for new axie tank I will get tomorrow. It’s a 40 G breeder. 36” X 17” X 18.25”

I’m reading these guys can crawl/jump out & to use covers. The choices are mesh or glass. I have a concern that since I’m not using an air pump (reading they don‘t like water disturbances), the glass will not allow proper oxygenation.

Continue to struggle with substrate. Can’t wrap my head around bare glass, although I will have to mount a board to the existing stand (made for 30 G hi tank) & could paint it any color. I want to use preferably real plants that can tolerate cold low-lighting, but willing to use silk.

Possibility I could Jerry rig something with lid from the 30 G tank & ones the cichlid cabInet seller gave me that he never used.

Amazon says if I order the mesh top soon, it’ll be here tomorrow!
I would get the mesh top. Axolotls need cool water. Evaporation helps cool the water, and a mesh top allows for more evaporation.

You could go with bare bottom or a black sand substrate, so they really stand out. Sand would be best for plants if you are wanting live ones!

Also, Amazon swords are really great low light cold water plants! They develop very sturdy root systems very quickly, so once established a curious axolotl shouldn’t be able to dig them up!

Thanks, I am leaning toward Imagitarium black sand.
Will order the mesh top from Amazon. Now!
There is also Black Diamond Blasting Sand for sale at most tractor supply stores. They sell fine and medium grit. You can get a 50 pound bag for $10, and I would guess you would need at least 50 pounds for a 40 breeder.

Will definitely look for that plant. Thanks again.
Glad I could help! I would highly recommend shopping at YourFishStuff on EBay. They offer buy 1 get 1 50% off for all their plants. I’ve ordered from them twice and the plants came gorgeous! My first order was 1 Amazon sword (they list it as echinodorus bleheri) and 1 Anubias barteri. The plants were huge. This was a photo from my first order, after I separated the individual plants from their shared pots.
40EB2DCA-F93E-4222-82A7-021419D23226.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back