Now I Feel Like Throwing In The Towel!

Oh how awful. I lost my prized dinner-plate Discus many years ago due to a heater malfunction...only in my case the water got too cold. I really am sorry but don't give it up you obviously love the hobby. As someone previously stated having two smaller heaters is always a good idea...

*running to check tank temps*
 
just turned on the tank lights in the tank on the otherside of the lounge,only to see that all the fish
6 angels
9 danios
2 platys
2 algae eaters

have been boiled due to a heater malfunction, im gutted i really bloody am, to make it worse the heater is only 6 months old if that.
the water is too hot for me to bath in!! oh im sooooooooo fricking angry,i loved those angels
as all my tanks have the same brand of heaters (elite) im scared now that it may happen in another one, my house is warm and im even thinking about removing them all from my oscar tanks

from one very p**sed off shelagh

AHH, I'm sorry shelagh, it must be devastated!

It does however under line the benefit of a two heater system.

Erm, surely it doesn't? The heater went faulty in an ON state, 1 heater or 2 heaters, if it stays on it's gonna get pretty warm. I guess if you had 2 'under powered' heaters then perhaps if one went faulty and got stuck on it might not get quite so hot, or quite so quickly, but I think the only real protection against this would be an external thermostat.

i think you misunderstand the two heater system. it is specifically to avoid just such a problem. two heaters that together are, just, more than capable of heating the tank. if one dies the second can keep the tank comfortable for the fish till the problem can re rectified. if one sticks on, it is not capable of cooking the fish. again giving you time to replace the duff unit.
 
Aha I see, the thread's I'd read previously seemed to be recommending to get 2 heaters, either of which would be able to keep the tank at temperature on it's own in case one failed, so you are correct, I missed the point :P
Thanks :)
 
Really sorry to read this, hugs to you xxx
 
sorry to hear that. i had a really bad day yesterday and considered quitting the hobby. lost a platy and a molly and managed to poison all of my shrimp in my shrimp tank, every last one of them died. now i have to replace them :crazy: .
 
thankyou for your very kind words everyone, not a lot i could have done to prevent it,but i will be writing to elite,not that that will help,but it`ll make me feel a bit better :(


shelagh xxx
 
sorry to hear this shelagh!!!!! dont give up!!

i have a tip aswell!!!!

to help with daily temp check

when you feed the fish....make a point of putting your hand in the water...

if you feed ur fish twice a day....then your performing two temp checks aswell... that way u will hopefully catch and fluctuations in water temps!

Peter x
 
That's a bummer. It was a freak thing that happened no need to give up it's not your fault. That happened to my friend her fish were 5 + years old she was heart broken. One day I noticed my water temp went up with out me touching it. So I pulled that heater out right away I felt I could not trust it. I went and got a totally different one and it's been good. I got the Visi-Therm Stealth Heater when my other heater started to act funny.
 
i use the exact same heaters and never had a problem

but when i feel like giving up i set up another tank
that always makes me feel better :good: :good: :good:
 
cheers Peter, will do :)

Awww Shelagh, I know this doesn't take away the pain, but #### happens and when you're dealing in as many tanks and fish as we all do, real lives and electrical items don't always mix harmoniously. It's not your fault! It's so sad but I've learnt to switch off my emotions with my fish, because the losses one encounters as a keeper is soul destroying if you don't switch off. I moved when I was pregnant with my first and the heater exploded (pregnant mind, forgot to switch it off before putting it back in the tank) it was late at night and the fish were in the bucket for hours and I lost every single one. A large gibbiceps included, was my pride and joy. Just had to watch writhe around slowly dying, nothing I could do. I felt so so bad but I learnt a lesson from it. Hugs to you, this sounds so harsh, but you will overcome it and start again. Somebody like you or I would never really give up, no matter how many times we feel it or say it. Hope you feel a bit stronger today xxx
 
I am truly gutted for you shelagh. I myself have just lost Slippy and one of my Adolfoi overnight, albeit different circumstances.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm still in the stages of trying to figure out how it happened.


I'm not giving up and neither should you!


Just think of all those fish you will come across in the future who need loving homes. Could you really pass them by?

I know I couldn't. Hence my ever growing collection of tanks. Pretty soon I will have to consider building an extension :blush:


I really do wish you all the best in getting your tank up and running, I know you will get over this hurdle :good:
 
dont be so down hearted hun it wasnt your fault ,i had the same thing happen to me about 8 yeas ago i lost a 8 year old syno,if i can help re stocking the tank i will do mite have some fish for you ill drop you a pm
 
That's crap luck, S; once you've decided to carry on (and you know you will) try a VisiTherm heater. Five year guarantees are rare in fishkeeping - I've never had a problem with mine and I've had it over four years now. Don't give up.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top