Now I Feel Like Throwing In The Towel!

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
6,754
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
BARRY,s.wales
just turned on the tank lights in the tank on the otherside of the lounge,only to see that all the fish
6 angels
9 danios
2 platys
2 algae eaters

have been boiled due to a heater malfunction, im gutted i really bloody am, to make it worse the heater is only 6 months old if that.
the water is too hot for me to bath in!! oh im sooooooooo fricking angry,i loved those angels
as all my tanks have the same brand of heaters (elite) im scared now that it may happen in another one, my house is warm and im even thinking about removing them all from my oscar tanks




from one very p**sed off shelagh
 
Oh #### hon, sorry to hear that RIP fishies. Ive got several elite heaters and no problems with them so far, just unlucky with that one maybe.
 
just turned on the tank lights in the tank on the otherside of the lounge,only to see that all the fish
6 angels
9 danios
2 platys
2 algae eaters

have been boiled due to a heater malfunction, im gutted i really bloody am, to make it worse the heater is only 6 months old if that.
the water is too hot for me to bath in!! oh im sooooooooo fricking angry,i loved those angels
as all my tanks have the same brand of heaters (elite) im scared now that it may happen in another one, my house is warm and im even thinking about removing them all from my oscar tanks




from one very p**sed off shelagh


Nightmare! So sorry to hear that. I'm paranoid now, constantly feeling the tanks to make sure the temperature is right! Keeping reading of heaters failing ...

So sorry for the fish, poor things. Don't know if I'd want to carry on keeping them either.
 
Sorry to hear about your fish I have lost a whole tank like that as well. As a matter of fact i bought a tank today that was sold because the heater went bad.
 
Oh no :(

I am seriously starting to think about hooking up a pond thermostat to my tank to stop exactly this sort of thing...
 
Omg, I felt so bad for you reading that.
I'd an accident a couple months back when my heater broke while i was away for a week. because i gone for the week id no other heating on in apartment, and came back to see I'd lost half me stock, and the ones thats were left were very lucky.
So I understand why you'd be so p****d off, its hard caring for them for so long to have that happen
 
What brand is the heater? I would definately return to where you bought it and get a refund / replacement as its still under guarantee if its only 6 months old.
Also, someone else I know that this happened to who keeps discus and lost most of his fish (tetra heater in this case), wrote a very angry letter / email off to tetra and they gave him a considerable amount of compensation, so it might be worth giving this a shot too

I am seriously starting to think about hooking up a pond thermostat to my tank to stop exactly this sort of thing...

Habistat do a good one. They're intended for vivariums, but they transfer perfectly well to aquarium use too. Plug in a heater, temp probe in the tank, keeps temp very stable and accurate, as the heater coming on/off is controlled by the thermostat, not the heater itself.
 
just turned on the tank lights in the tank on the otherside of the lounge,only to see that all the fish
6 angels
9 danios
2 platys
2 algae eaters

have been boiled due to a heater malfunction, im gutted i really bloody am, to make it worse the heater is only 6 months old if that.
the water is too hot for me to bath in!! oh im sooooooooo fricking angry,i loved those angels
as all my tanks have the same brand of heaters (elite) im scared now that it may happen in another one, my house is warm and im even thinking about removing them all from my oscar tanks




from one very p**sed off shelagh

AHH, I'm sorry shelagh, it must be devastated!

It does however under line the benefit of a two heater system.
 
Sorry shel.
Must be awful poor things.
It tells you in fish books to check temp everyday, but I don't but I know you should.
I would make it a routine to check water temp daily.
 
Don't give up Shelagh.These things happen unfortunately,and you can't be blamed.
I'm having an absolute nightmare with my tank the last month or so(massive pH crashes) and am thinking of packing it in too but hang in there.The only way is up.
 
just turned on the tank lights in the tank on the otherside of the lounge,only to see that all the fish
6 angels
9 danios
2 platys
2 algae eaters

have been boiled due to a heater malfunction, im gutted i really bloody am, to make it worse the heater is only 6 months old if that.
the water is too hot for me to bath in!! oh im sooooooooo fricking angry,i loved those angels
as all my tanks have the same brand of heaters (elite) im scared now that it may happen in another one, my house is warm and im even thinking about removing them all from my oscar tanks

from one very p**sed off shelagh

AHH, I'm sorry shelagh, it must be devastated!

It does however under line the benefit of a two heater system.

Erm, surely it doesn't? The heater went faulty in an ON state, 1 heater or 2 heaters, if it stays on it's gonna get pretty warm. I guess if you had 2 'under powered' heaters then perhaps if one went faulty and got stuck on it might not get quite so hot, or quite so quickly, but I think the only real protection against this would be an external thermostat.

'joecoral said:
Habistat do a good one. They're intended for vivariums, but they transfer perfectly well to aquarium use too. Plug in a heater, temp probe in the tank, keeps temp very stable and accurate, as the heater coming on/off is controlled by the thermostat, not the heater itself.

This was the sort of thing I was thinking of, thanks for providing an example, although I think I would be tempted to have the heater at say 25 deg C and the 'standalone' thermostat set to 28 or something, so day to day the heater would work like normal, but in the event of a faulty heater overheating then the standalone thermostat would take action and switch it off.

:good:
 
In fact I've just looked in a bit more detail at that habistat and it seems really good for the price. Cheaper than a pond thermostat, and it comes complete with waterproof probe (not sure how long the lead is on it though), I think I might have to look into this a bit more, for around £30 seems like it will save a lot of headaches!
Thanks again joecoral :good:
 
don't give it up Shelagh that would be a waste cos you love this hobby

I've kept fish for 17 years and unfortunately things happen which drive you potty cos you lose your best fish or you realise it could been avoided or like in your cas it was unavoidable in most senses

good luck re stocking!!
 
hi shelagh sorry to hear about ur loss, this happened to my cpd's which i obtained a breeding group of 16 form 4 sources cost me alot of money and killed them all none left i was absolutely gutted!!!!!!!!!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top