Now I Feel Like Throwing In The Towel!

Something like this happened to my twice:
Once, I went on vacation and my heater died, chilling the water, only a baby platy and a few zebras lived. It was the first time I went away while I had home aquaria. No wait, it was the second time....
But, another time, my heater stayed on alll night, and it killed my cory cat, who, if he had lived, would be the same age as my sisters betta, since we got the the same day....Well, I'm very sorry to hear this happened, hope all else is well.
 
you`re all so sweet,thanks ever so much,the tank is empty now, im not going to bother restocking it, im gonna (try) to concentrate on selling the tanks that i have floating about here( they are everywhere!!),and just keep my oscar tanks,they give me the most satisfaction, ill replace all the heaters,just to be sure ( well,as i can be) and thats about all i can do really, but thankyou all so much for your support,it really is appreciated :)


shelagh xxx
 
Very very sorry. ):

):):

Buy a new heater quick! D: I have the same brand, (elite) it's submersible and now I'm scared. x__x

What watt?
 
hi kevin, if its any reassurance, i have been using this brand for almost a year now and till now had no issues,as people have said,seems i was just unlucky,but i will be changing them,only to make myself feel better,so dont get scared,its just one of those things, my luck is bad at the moment.


shelagh xxxx
 
The same problem poor Shelagh encountered has just happened to me :( . I returned from holiday last week to find the fish tank heater had malfunctioned whilst I had been away - I guess it's thermostat went, as the temp in the tank was 38C when I got home, and all the fish and plants were dead. I was absolutely gutted. I had set up an automated 14 day food feeder, which I had diligently trialled, which worked perfectly - adding to the pollution. The fish were just a load of bones - nothing really identifiable. I found my large algae eater's head (he was my favourite!). Fortunately there were not that many fish in the tank, but some were good ages. There were 2 large Angels, 2 Large Clown Loaches, 1 Large Golden Algae Eater, and 4 Rainbow Fish. My tank is a Trigon Juwel 190. The heater was the Juwel one which goes in the filter block. It was about 4 years old. I have already bought a replacement Juwel heater 200W. I didn't think there was any other option until I read this thread. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem with this type of heater. I presumed that maybe 4 years was about the time when things started to fail - I had to replace the pump which broke down about 3 months ago. I have had to drain the whole tank and am in the process of cleaning it all out. I had to get all new filters too (about 7 of them!). Strangely enough - even after a week or 2 the tank had no bad to smell to it. That was presumably due to the efficient filtration system and pump. When I got back I immediately unplugged everything. Almost 24 hrs later the temp of the tank was still 25C!!! I noticed in this thread someone mentioned an external thermostat. I'm not sure what one of those is and how it would work. I am now thinking what to put in the tank when it is put back together - I suppose I don't have the limitations of having to buy fish that are compatible with those already in the tank - as none are there!! I have to start with plants and good bacteria for a bit. Any advice and good ideas gratefully appreciated :/
 
so sorry to hear that but sorry have no advice for you :(


am wondering though, where is shelagh these days? not seen her for months , hope shes ok :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top