The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FloridaChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am in love with Dumbo Bettas and I am wondering if the dark looking pouch means I am overfeeding the off-white babies I recently bought. Also, I just started feeding them frozen food in the morning.

Attachments

• 20210505_110718.jpg
    20210505_110718.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210505_110650.jpg
    20210505_110650.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210505_110912.jpg
    20210505_110912.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210505_112229.jpg
    20210505_112229.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210505_110637.jpg
    20210505_110637.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 67
They do look a big overfed - try to reduce feeding a bit.

Frozen food is a good choice for Betta fry/juveniles, but also try to mix it up a little. Do you feed pellets?

Hello :)
As long as they poop regularly and food is eaten within 5 minutes, it's fine.
You should add more plants.
How many of them ? Tank measurements ?

If you are feeding as much food as your fish can eat in 5 minutes, then you are extremely overfeeding...

Depends on how many fish are in the tank, and tank size
If you are talking a about Bettas, my statement still stands. Unlike other fish, Bettas won’t eat until they are full. They will eat until they physically can’t eat any more.

You should be conservatively feeding your Betta 1-2 times a day, depending on how much/how often you feed.

That’s how my Blue got a tummy like that!! He’s not at all happy with the 6-8 pellets...he was probably getting 25-30 and would systematically hoover them off the surface of the water ???

That’s how my Blue got a tummy like that!! He’s not at all happy with the 6-8 pellets...he was probably getting 25-30 and would systematically hoover them off the surface of the water ???
Mine was something like............ a swimming stomac :lol::lol: but I have him exert himself by flaring in front of a mirror every other day.

Depends on what kind of fish, how many fish are in the tank, and tank size...
Too many fish. Bittersweet, my Male Butterfly Betta died a few days ago so I moved some females to his tank. I know I need at least a 20 gallon tank but I am exhausted trying to keep all my fish and snails happy in my 3 small tanks. That said, the tank has 5 young bettas, 5 neon tetras, 3 gold mystery snails, 3 adult bettas, a couple of Loaches and some pygmy catfish. I give them half a cube of frozen food in the morning and pellets or flakes later in the day.

Too many fish. Bittersweet, my Male Butterfly Betta died a few days ago so I moved some females to his tank. I know I need at least a 20 gallon tank but I am exhausted trying to keep all my fish and snails happy in my 3 small tanks. That said, the tank has 5 young bettas, 5 neon tetras, 3 gold mystery snails, 3 adult bettas, a couple of Loaches and some pygmy catfish. I give them half a cube of frozen food in the morning and pellets or flakes later in the day.
What size tank?

Most tropical fish don't NEED to eat every day; I feed my 5 tanks every other day, sometimes skip 2 days

Underfeeding rarely causes issues, but overfeeding always does, eventually

If you are talking a about Bettas, my statement still stands. Unlike other fish, Bettas won’t eat until they are full. They will eat until they physically can’t eat any more.

You should be conservatively feeding your Betta 1-2 times a day, depending on how much/how often you feed.
That makes me feel better. When I just started the tank, it looked like a snow globe when I fed them ??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back