Not sure what I'm doing anymore (fishless)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KikiY

Reaction score
Yes, I've already posted here. Yes I've read the instructions for fishless cycle on the forum. I just...I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
Chart story:
  • Start cycle on the 15th of the month. Add Tetra SafeStart. Unknown weight of Fritz Pro Ammonium Chloride due to lacking sub-grams scale. However, put enough in to get up to 2ppm as is generally recommended.
  • Take all three readings for several days. No ammonia or nitrIte spikes. However, oddly high nitrAte.
  • Not sure wtf is going on or if TSS was effective, order Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. Get nitrIte spike next day after adding it.
  • Add dose of ammonia but goes to 4ppm, do 20% water change to bring down to 2ppm. Works.
  • Mental health decides to take a small nosedieve, don't do parameters for 3 days.
  • Add very small ammonia dose, get .25ppm nitrIte next day. This was supposed to be the "snack" dose mentioned in the instructions.
  • No ammonia or nitrIte next day.
  • Don't do parameters yesterday.
  • Do all three parameters today. Still no ammonia or nitrIte, alarmingly high nitrAte. Not sure wtf I'm doing anymore. Post thread.

Attachments

• Ammonia cycle notes 2 - page 1.png
    Ammonia cycle notes 2 - page 1.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Mar 30 340 all.jpg
    Mar 30 340 all.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Mar 30 340 Nitrate.jpg
    Mar 30 340 Nitrate.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 46
@Essjay understands the method best, she may offer advise when she is next on.
Have you checked the source water for nitrates?

It is important to know how much of the tank nitrate came in when you filled the tank, so as Naughts said, you need to test your tap water for nitrate.

If both the Safe Start and One & Only worked, it is possible that the cycle went very quickly. There are 2 ways to be sure.
Subtract your tap nitrate from your tank nitrate and if there's a big difference it must have come from somewhere.
Add enough ammonia/ammonium chloride to get a reading of 3 ppm and test next day. If both are zero, the tank is cycled.

Most reactions

trending

Back