Not Sure My Fluval 305 Is Working Properly

sneezy

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Have set it up tonight following all instructions.

Although a constant flow of water is coming out of output nozzle creating water agitation on the surface there is absolutely no water agitation near the intake and I am a bit concerned its not taking enough water in.

It is a sand substrate and its not moving at all. I have sprinkled some next to the intake vents and it sucked it up but not particularly quickly. There is a bit of plant debris in the tank which doesn't appear to be going anywhere near the intake pipe.

I have checked the pipes and they have no kinks or hoops.

This is my first experience of an external so I don't know if this is normal or not but it just doesn't seem right.

Please help
 
It can only blow out, what it's taking in.

So if the output feels/looks ok then don't worry.

Mine don't particularly make much to see around the intakes... sounds fine to me.
 
I've got a 305 running my tank and theres a load of water movement from the outlet and near nothing at the inlet,

sounds alright.
 
Well if you look at the output, the water flow is concentrated through 2 narrow nozzles (well mine is anyway) whereas the input water intake has a much larger opening, thus creating a much lesser pressure for water going in. As is said above, if water is coming out, then their must certainly be water going in. :)
 
I noticed the same with my Fluval. I would see a piece of a leaf go near the intake tube and not be sucked up and thought "is this a good filter". Then I learned that a filter in an aquarium is mainly there to provide a "home" for good bacteria that keeps your water safe and clean mainly by Biological filtration.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top